Well, here I go again ...

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 16. Mar 2015, 23:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
... with my next trip to theatre and unfortunately I don't mean going to see a play!

Physio and I agreed Friday that no point continuing with sessions as ankle not responding to what she tries/suggests/ the exercises which I religiously do.

Whilst I've been having physio, I've been referred to see an ankle orthopaedic consultant. My Choose & Book paperwork arrived this morning and within 2 hrs I'd logged on, and booked an appointment for a hospital that does NHS work under Choose & Book for 8th April. This is a private hospital near to me, where they take NHS cases as well.

I'd also taken the precaution of triggering a referral to a private healthcare society I belong to which supplements the NHS. To get treatment via this route you have to prove NHS wait is too long for you. When I initially approached them I'd been told the NHS wait for my local hospital from referral being received to the first clinic appt was at least 8 weeks. Couldn't wait that long so had back up referral sent. Won't need that now, although this particular hospital was one of the Choose & Book options.

Ease of access is the reason behind my choice of hospitals. The one I've gone for is where I had my knee arthroscopy Jan 14 so I am slightly familiar with how they work.

I fully expect on 8th April to be told that they need to do an MRI before they can operate. Between now and then I will get the diet started to try and reduce the "ideally you need to lose some weight" lecture somewhat but not being able to exercise it's very difficult to lose weight.

I've also had challenging times with my partner since October last year as he had surgery and has been told since then that he has progressive prostate cancer. Add to this he has M.E., (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and depression, you can see why the diet's not started as yet!

I have a good range of movement with the ankle because I won't let the joint seize up. The physio said it was to do with the compression of the joint. It also hurts like bothery when I am resting it and I know from my history with my knees that this is a classic OA symptom.

My neighbour over the road has had two ankles fused (although she is a good bit older than I am) so I'll be asking her for the honest and bald truth as to what to expect afterwards. Having said that, if anyone on the forum has any wise words for me please can you share?

I'd rather know what to expect than be surprised.

Thank you and thanks for reading.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wish you the very best of luck and I am so sorry about your partner: how very hard for both of you. Losing weight can be done, a chair-bound member on here lost five stones through sheer determination, a feat I have long admired. I am steadily losing weight without really trying by eating smaller portions, chewing thoroughly and eating without any distractions such as the telly. I've cut back on crisps, sweets and biscuits too, preferring more savoury options. For me the word 'diet' immediately gives a sense of deprivation which is always a challenge. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thank you. I've been successful before when going to Sxxx Wxxx. I'd struggle to get to the classes but I still have the books and I can easily avoid impulse buys as I am now internet shopping.

Realised I should have clarified that I've been told I'm facing a fusion.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It seems you have done all you can to postpone this op so now is the time to think of yourself, rather than others, and go for it.

My own ankles fused themselves. It will be a much quicker process to have the procedure done by a surgeon :wink: but I can't say anything about recovery times. I can say they are infinitely better for having no movement.

I hope all goes well, quickly and smoothly. As for losing weight - I'd go for DD's method. What you don't have in the house you can't eat.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace you have so much to cope with , I am sorry to hear about your partner, hopefully the brilliant drugs they have will keep it a bay for a while,I really do wish you well with this op and we are all behind you... :) some positive hugs coming your way...(((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    I am sorry to hear about your partner; with prostate cancer + ME + depression, you already seem to have lot in your plate and it is absolutely ok not to keep diet as your first priority. Hope he gets the best treatment plan as per his needs.

My mum has done ankle fusion around 10 years back, eventually getting a replacement which has maintained her range of motion and controlled a pain so far. However, the result may vary individually and it’s best to have in depth discussion with your doc. My ex neighbour didn’t have a good experience with ankle fusion and was in very much pain for a long time though her doctor continue to blame nerve damage.

My best wishes.
    Anna.