Feel like I've gone backwards

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 20. Mar 2015, 10:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, you may have noticed that sometimes I don't pop in for a couple of days. It's because I have been feeling really drained again like I did around Christmas. I'm not sure and I've spoken to my G.P this morning about it but I feel like I've got extreme anaemia again. She has booked me in to see the vampires and be screened for full blood count, diabetes and a couple of other things. So I've got to go and see her when the tests come back and see if the anaemia has come back or there is something else to add to the ever growing list of bubba problems!!

Comments

• bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bubba, I can totally empathise with the way you're feeling. I'm booked in for full blood test on wednesday and just hope that if anything shows up it will be treatable! Good luck with your blood tests. Deb
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I hope your problems can be sorted soon, Bubba, so you can feel better. It`s no joke feeling drained and tired - like running on empty.

Good luck with your bloods - mine are later in the month.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh yes, I remember that feeling of getting nowhere and it still occasionally rocks up. Tiredness is a factor of arthritis, and it can take months rather than mere weeks to sort out anaemia. What have you been doing or taking towards improving that? I had a six-month course of iron tablets which eventually sorted me but it took that long. My bloods are done every two months at my instigation, I either make an appointment with the GP nurses or stroll into phlebotomy at my local hospital: I am conscientious about them due to the meds I take. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    As I said in my last post on your other thread, bubbadog, we were both diagnosed with anaemia around the same time and, since then, I've had an upper abdo scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy and a virtual colonoscopy. I'm glad your doc is finally doing something. No wonder you're flaked out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I am sorry for sufferings; anaemia brings feeling of tiredness and lethargy along with itself. But I am glad that your GP is taking these steps. Iron therapy, in combination with dietary strategies to increase iron and vitamin C intake, should effectively treat iron deficiency anaemia by raising the haemoglobin level and replacing iron stores.

However, if you’re already taking iron supplements for a considerable time and it is not improving your Hb status, then it means there is an underlying root cause that is left being untreated. It could be related to diabetes, kidney disease or few other relevant medical conditions; where it is classically known as “anaemia of chronic disease”. It’s not always about iron supplements but your gut health is also important especially if you have immune disorder or fighting an infection. Are you getting your ferritin levels check? Sometimes there is enough iron in our body but its practically unavailable and inactive.

Hope you get some lead from your tests soon. Good luck.
  • charrisse
    charrisse Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Know that feeling only too well Bubba! I do hope you get something sorted soon.

I went out yesterday as I needed some new light bulbs but everywhere I went they didn't have the ones I wanted By the time I had visited half a dozen places..and did eventually get them thank goodnes!... I got home and was completely and utterly exhausted and I had only been out for about 3hrs at the most. I just had to grab a sandwich and went to bed..5pm!
    Must admit it might be a bit of being an 80yo.. :roll:
    All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Birthday - AUGUST 22nd
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Weird thing happened Wednesday I woke up and started being sick and other end problems! I thought I must have caught the sickness bug that was going round it lasted the whole day and evening. No sickness the rest of the night. Thursday was clear of sickness just sore ribs and tummy and exhausted. Woke up at 4am this morning with sore shoulder and hips. Very strange! Any thoughts on what caused it anyone?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    My policy is never to look for unusual explanations when a simple one looks likely ie my extremely unofficial, incompetent diagnosis would be that you had a tummy upset (either the bug or something you'd eaten) and, as a result of all the exertion and exhaustion, slept uncomfortably last night. I hope today is a better one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Oh Bubba! I am sorry you are still struggling with you anaemia. I really hope they sort it soon. xxx