Forthcoming Thumb Fusion

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 18. Apr 2015, 14:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

At the end of June/beginning of July I am to have my left thumb, top two joints, fused. As I can't have a General Anesthetic due to RA in my neck I have to have a nerve block. :shock:

Can anyone tell me what to expect with the nerve block please? I did ask my surgeon but he dismissed my questions (it was lunchtime and he was obviously hungry :x ) and told me to bring them to my pre-op assessment. I would like to get my head round what is to come before I get the appointment if possible.

I'm then going to have three more operations on the same hand to reconstruct my grip. As I have to go through this more than once I need educating from the experts who've been there before me. Can anyone help me please?

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I had a regional block for my trapeziectomy. I am so pleased I did, the recovery was so much better than a general. The anaesthetist uses a very fine needle to locate the 4 nerves in the armpit. They then administer the anaesthetic through this and hey presto, one very very numb arm. It takes a while for it to take effect and it can take up to 24 hours to wear off again.
    I would recommend wearing clothes that don't require a lot of fastening and forget about a bra!!!! Impossible to do up one handed. They do explain a lot more before the operation. Good luck. :)
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I had a good experience of nerve block aka “regional anaesthesia” during my hand surgery. They make your hand or arm numb; this means you stay awake for your operation, though there is surgical drape always placed between you and the surgeon. Doc gives most of the patients sedating medicine when they perform the nerve block to help you relax, so you will not feel any pain while this going on. A hand or arm is placed on arm pad and nerve that supply your hand/arm will be blocked either in your armpit or above your collar bone (may not be suitable for you due to RA in neck). They use an ultrasound to find a right nerve. Your hand and arm may be numb for up to 24 hours. As per my experience, nerve block improves recovery times, it decreases your risk of GA complications like you will be able to eat and drink immediately after surgery and no hangover effect like GA.

Good luck and wish you quick recovery.

Anna.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've never had anything like this but I wish you well and hope it all goes smoothly. It could make a substantial difference once all is done, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    No advice, Legs, but good luck :D

I hope the nerve block goes well. My complicated throat / neck scares anaesthetists and I think I may have had my last general so I shall await your report with interest.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank for your replies everyone, I shall respond properly later as my friend is picking me up for lunch anytime soon and I have to be ready ...takes longer these days to get myself presentable! :roll:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    As it was a general when I had my Trapeziectomy done I cannot comment Legs, I see Michelle and Anna has given you her experience good luck with the op hope all goes well..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Michelle63 wrote:
    Hi, I had a regional block for my trapeziectomy. I am so pleased I did, the recovery was so much better than a general. The anaesthetist uses a very fine needle to locate the 4 nerves in the armpit. They then administer the anaesthetic through this and hey presto, one very very numb arm. It takes a while for it to take effect and it can take up to 24 hours to wear off again.
    I would recommend wearing clothes that don't require a lot of fastening and forget about a bra!!!! Impossible to do up one handed. They do explain a lot more before the operation. Good luck. :)

Hi Michelle, thank you for replying with your own interesting experience. I'm wondering how high you had to lift your arm in order for the anesthetist to get access to the nerves in your armpit? As my shoulder joint is as rubbish as my other joints I can't lift it very high and so long as you don't have to tuck your hand behind your neck/head I might be alright?????

As for clothing I always need a hand dressing/undressing so I might not wear my bra just for the hell of it :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    AnnaMilton wrote:
    I had a good experience of nerve block aka “regional anaesthesia” during my hand surgery. They make your hand or arm numb; this means you stay awake for your operation, though there is surgical drape always placed between you and the surgeon. Doc gives most of the patients sedating medicine when they perform the nerve block to help you relax, so you will not feel any pain while this going on. A hand or arm is placed on arm pad and nerve that supply your hand/arm will be blocked either in your armpit or above your collar bone (may not be suitable for you due to RA in neck). They use an ultrasound to find a right nerve. Your hand and arm may be numb for up to 24 hours. As per my experience, nerve block improves recovery times, it decreases your risk of GA complications like you will be able to eat and drink immediately after surgery and no hangover effect like GA.Good luck and wish you quick recovery. Anna.

Thank you Anna for this. These are the replies I needed so I know what to expect. If you've read what I've said to Michelle you'll see that my armpit access might not be possible due to my limited shoulder mobility so above the collar bone is, at least, another option. Thank you also for letting me know what goes on during the op itself. I did have some nodules removed from my hand last year and it sounds similar to that although I only had a local anesthetic as it was a small operation.

What was your hand operation for, if you don't mind me asking :oops:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thank you also Dreamdaisy, Sticky and Marie for your good wishes.

PS You, me and our joints Sticky would scare anyone :shock: :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Linda
    Sorry only just seen this, and I wont be much help, but I see some of the others have been :) ..I just want to wish you well and hope the op goes to plan and you have a good recovery..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Linda
    Sorry only just seen this, and I wont be much help, but I see some of the others have been :) ..I just want to wish you well and hope the op goes to plan and you have a good recovery..xx

Thanks for your kind wishes Barbara, please don't apologise for not seeing this as I did sneak in the back door as usual! :wink: Hope you're well :D

Love.
    Love, Legs x
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi, just saw your question. I was laid flat in the theatre with my arm out to the side and the hand upwards in an L shape. Hope this helps?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Michelle63 wrote:
    Hi, just saw your question. I was laid flat in the theatre with my arm out to the side and the hand upwards in an L shape. Hope this helps?

Thank you Michelle, it certainly does help. I think I could manage that. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • Dawny
    Dawny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all new to this forum and just been reading, wondered if all of you that has had a Trapeziectomy could tell me how they have gone on has it worked and have you any strength or movement as i have heard different opinions..Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Dawny, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. There is a search facility on here which will bring up threads concerning this operation but it may be better for you to begin your own thread: not many return to old threads so you may escape notice. DD (Who hasn't had a trapeziectomy.)
  • Dawny
    Dawny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you DD for replying i will look for the thread, Im sure I will get the hang of it eventually.. :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again, forum life can be a complicated process, yes? :wink: My public forum 'life' is this one - I have tried one or two more but they are mysterious because I am used to this layout. :oops:

When you click on a forum title it shows a 'New Thread' option - click on that and it brings up a new screen where you have to title the thread and then post in the lower screen space. I hope this helps. DD