Change of taste

Options
AnnaMilton
AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
edited 10. Apr 2015, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone noticed change of taste after being put on Meth? My regular coffee tastes so bitter and then there is strange metallic taste even for my favourite foods. Hope things will improve as my body gets adjust to meth. But anyone with same experience here?

Anna.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think this can, rarely, happen with meth though I've never experienced it. I did have it all the time I was on chemo though, many years ago, and it was unpleasant. Why not ask your pharmacist if he / she has a solution?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I got this horrible side effect while having IV steroids, its not nice at all but for me it did eventually settle down. Asking for some advice off the nurses might be helpful, they are usually the best source of information regarding drugs.

I hope you find something to help the situation soon!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, this happened to me while on MTX, though it did eventually get somewhat better. I found, though, that some things which I've always enjoyed, eg garlic chicken, I simply couldn't eat while on MTX. Once the MTX was stopped my taste buds returned to normal.
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you all for wonderful advises. I have started keeping peppermint candies and it helps. Drinking fluids with meals is also another way to decrease unpleasant taste. My friend advised me to use plastic utensils to avoid metallic taste, have not started but still wonder will it make any difference. My pharmacist couldn’t really help but insisted to be on schedule for folic acid, which I am already.
    Lastly, I do hope it settles down on its own like it did for you people. Thanks.

Anna.
  • jgledhill
    jgledhill Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, MTX tablets can cause weird things to happen anywhere along your gastrointenstinal tract, mouth included!

I had weird metallic tastes when I was on it too. That and other side effects had me put on the injections for a while and then I stopped having the weird tastes.

If its bothering you and you could take the injections (think its a pen style autoinjector these days) you could ask to switch?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Anna
    Just to say dont always put symptoms down to meds you are taking, I have kidney disease and have the same, some foods taste strange, metallic taste and also a bitter taste..so might be worth having a word with your GP...
    Love
    Barbara