Orthopaedic appointment Friday

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 19. Mar 2015, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have my next orthapedic review on Friday, so some company would be great. I am also telling myself that I have to be sensible and mention that for the past 3-4 weeks I've started to get fairly constant lower back pain, I keep telling myself it's nothing but that's probably not sensible.

I'm also wondering whether I should cut back on my pain relief that morning to get some idea of how bad it is? Have a feeling that as I've got a long and demanding day n Thursday, including a meeting that starts at 4.00 I'm not going to be at my best anyway, but that's probably a good thing.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be there, Slosh. I think it's a good idea to report on the back. No need to make a song and dance about it if you'd prefer them to ignore it :wink: but best to provide them with all the info they require to do their job properly.

Decide nearer the time what to do about the pain meds. I'd guess we've all held back, on occasions, for the reasons you describe but you also need to ensure you can get there and back :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Count me in too - on appointment days I don't take any pain relief from 5am on the day onwards until all is done and dusted so I can give them an accurate feedback about discomfort levels ('discomfort' being a euphemism for OUCH! :wink: )

I make it a rule of thumb to tell those who need to know what is going on, else how do they know what to do to help? Whether they can or not is not the issue but it's best to keep everyone in the loop. Please let us know how it goes as and when you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I'll be there too, Slosh. I hope it goes as well as possible and yes, I do think it's worth mentioning your back pain.

Meg
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Count me in Slosh and like the rest I would mention the back pain. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'll be there Slosh, and I'm with the others on the back pain issue. Hope it's a good appointment.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all, I will let you know how I get on.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Good luck, I hope it goes well.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • AnnaMilton
    AnnaMilton Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I always prefer to put up any little complaint -no matter how insignificant it seems- in my appointment, especially when I am lucky to have doctor with sympathetic ear (though his mood varies in every appointment). Just try to be assertive. I didn’t take my pain killers at the time of my last appointment, it helps me to give them right feedback and so for them to get me right help. However don’t stretch it much beyond the point, as SW mentioned.

Good luck, it goes well.

Anna.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wish you well for tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all. I will let you know how it goes. Getting a bit anxious as my arm pain has also been getting worse.
    Still I had a good meeting with a private OT this week and discovered that they can advise on fatigue management.
    Julian of Norwich