New nightmare -neurological symptoms

Options
Kittkat
Kittkat Member Posts: 309
edited 18. Apr 2015, 16:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Havnt been on here for a while . Things have been bad for me . Recently been having neurological symptoms . Possibly related to psoriatic arthritis , but also could be Ms . Has anyone else had neurological symptoms with their Arthur or Ms and Arthur.i just feel to have Ms and Arthur is a cruel cruel blow , not sure how I will deal with it. Feeling fearful.
Thanks x
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear! How scary for you! And I believe, last time you were here, things were a bit better, weren't they? Certainly better than when you first arrived.

I think you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself here. I do hope so. It's not impossible for people to have an auto-immune arthritis and also MS but I think it's very rare. I can't recall anyone on here having both.

I can't recall which bits of you are affected or how long you were before taking DMARDS. I know quite a few people on here have neurological problems in their backs and legs because of nerve damage in their spines caused by OA. Perhaps PsA can cause such damage too. I don't know. I do know that, without DMARDS, auto-immune forms of arthritis lead to OA so I guess you could, like many of us, have got both PsA and OA and the OA could be causing the problems.

Are you seeing a neurologist? Who has told you it could be MS?

Please try not to worry until / unless you have a proper diagnosis of something. Easier said than done but the more you can distract yourself from unhelpful, scary thoughts, the better able you will be to deal with whatever it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Chris01
    Chris01 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Yeah, it is rare PsA can cause neurological symptoms but don’t jump on to conclusion and try not to panic. Sorry, I don’t know your history, whether you are diabetic or not, but it is a common cause of neuropathies (nerve disorders), the result of nerve damage from high blood sugar.

Neurological symptoms range from the subtle, such as general tiredness, to really unsubtle symptoms, such as collapsing or outright paralysis. It’s best to talk with your GP and get the reference for neurologist, if you believe that you have a neurological disorder. You require many medical examinations to diagnose presence of a possible neurological condition that might include general screening, brain scan and other tests. Though I wish you come out with nothing out of those tests, even if you do, there are options available to better manage your condition, reduce symptoms and improve your quality of life.

Chris.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, I saw your name earlier and figured that all was not rosy. :( I am sorry about your new predicament but please don't get ahead of yourself too quickly. The human body is weird and wonderful thing but in our cases it's mostly weird. There are some people on here with neurological issues, hopefully they will see your post and reply. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi kitkat sorry to hear you are having more problems. What are your neurological symptoms? I take it you are seeing a Neurologist? there are many many causes of Neuropathy please don't jump to conclusions it is going to show MS. You will have to undergo quite a few tests to determine what is causing your problems. It is OA I have with a rare Neurological condition and I am not sure whether it is linked to PsA or not. Please keep us up to date with what is happening and try not to worry...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi kitkat, I can understand your anxiety - one illness to cope with is bad enough, let alone more. However, until you have a firm diagnosis there are numerous other things which can cause neurological problems. Try not to frighten yourself with what may or may not happen, though I know this will be easier said than done.

Hope all your fears are unfounded.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I was referred to neurology and my GP was concerned that it might have been MS. Luckily in my case it wasn't. I had a brain MRI and an examination from a consultant andhave a diagnosis of a functional neurological problem where my brain has "switched off" the signals to my left leg resulting in muscle weakness and pins and needles. It also causes fatigue, as does OA which I have. I have OA in my neck and as it has put pressure on my spinal nerve and cord I also have pins and needles and some muscle weakness in my left arm and neuropathic pain.

I understand completely how you must be feeling, but there are a whole host of different problems with similar symptoms. I just hope you don't have to wait too long to be seen and that your understandable fear are groundless.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are things today, Kitkatt and how are you feeling about them?
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi KitKat
    Sorry to hear that you are having these symptoms, but do wait for a full diagnosis. I have peripheral neuropathy, due to cervical and lumbar damage. I too thought that I had something like MS, not being able to hold things and knocking things over, or picking things up are equally as difficult. The Consultant Orthopeadic surgeon said that there are so many symptoms, due to osteophytes and joint damage, radiculopathy, which is a wierd one, where I cannot judge the distance of an object, usually resulting in me sending things flying. It can cause pain, numbness, fatigue, pins and needles.........There was little in the way of a solution to the problems, it is a really a best case scenario with medication and regular reviews. Living with it and being aware of it on a daily basis, not letting it rule my days and even trying to laugh at it.
    I do hope you get a proper diagnosis, it is very easy to jump the gun, I know how hard it is. Take care XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Kittkat
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks for your kind replies . I am feeling more positive today . It was my gp who mentioned the possibility of problems like Ms , but also could be related to Arthur / other things . It's had a blood test for diabetes /thyroid /vit b 12. Results next week & have another appointment to review .

Thanks again
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and I hope the test results point to something easily remedied. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi Kitkat,

I have only just joined the forum so please forgive me joining in this discussion, I hope you don't mind and I will introduce myself elsewhere in the next day or so.

I just wanted to say that I have both MS and arthritis. I'm also currently being investigated to see if my recent epilepsy is related to my MS or not!

My arthritis was officially diagnosed before my MS was but my MS symptoms go back a long way before the arthritis symptoms. There is no connection other than some neurological symptoms from arthritis can be mistaken as MS symptoms in someone like me and I had MS symptoms in my legs which were diagnosed as a physical issue which led to my arthritis diagnosis. Hope that makes sense?

The short answer is that there is often co morbidity between auto immune diseases but there is no direct correlation.

Please feel free to ask me questions but often an MS diagnosis is a long drawn out process and it's very wrong of your GP to mention that with no obvious evidence as it's a scary diagnosis - believe me !

Hope you feeling more settled now?

Best wishes
    Pat
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Kitkat, how are things with you now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jgledhill
    jgledhill Member Posts: 7
    Options
    What mediciation are you on out of interest? Is it one of the biological therapies?
  • Kittkat
    Options
    Hi all
    Still have some grim symptoms and waiting to see neurologist . I was on methotrexate. Not the biologics . Hope to get answers soon .
  • Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I have been getting a lot of tingling and pins and needles, (see my post 'Leflunomide and tingling'). I know how frustrating new symptoms and side effects can be. Best wishes.