TKR update

Graciesmum
Graciesmum Member Posts: 27
edited 23. Mar 2015, 10:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all.

Hope this finds everyone as well as they can be.

Just wanted to update really. My worst fears came to fruition, consultant said he "wasn't happy" with my knee replacement despite fantastic xray and a 90 degree bend. He wants it to be more than that as it's a super duper knee. Why? I'm not embarking on 50 shades of grey type stuff or becoming a race cyclist.
The manipulation under anaesthetic was mentioned. I said no.
Hydro class friends and physio have been very supportive. Some folk in the pool have had MUA and are worse.
We do wonder sometimes if the arthritis was as bad as things are now.
Just thank heaven for folk on here and at physio who know something of how we feel.
Have to say , consultant was fine with me not having MUA, he said it would get there eventually, just take longer. Then why frighten me? Held on to husband as if I was a drowning pup. Hate this.

Sue XX

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue
    These consultants can out the fear of god in us, I'm glad to hear that they think all will be well..sometime or other :roll: x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I am sorry that things are not going well for you, that must be so hard. :( I admit I forget how long ago your op took place but I do recall being told I could not leave hospital after my open synovecotmy op in 2002 until I had surmounted a physical challenge which the surgeon deemed necessary. Luckily they let me out early because it took me around 18 months to achieve what the surgeon desired.

Surgeons live with the theory but we have to endure reality. We are wheeled in to their theatres and they work their magic: as we're wheeled out their job is done. It can take time to recover from an op and gain all the necessary movement but for what it's worth I reckon a 90 degree bend is OK. It's not easy, far from it, but when in the middle of it all it can be hard to see the progress that has been made. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Sue, when I had my TKR I was told a 90 degree bend was the best I would get. That was like a red rag to a bull! I'm Taurean - hence the attitude. :roll:

I pushed through the exercises, demanding extra sessions with the physios, and got to 125 degrees bend on the operated knee. Through sheer persistence and dogged determination. I was going to prove them wrong if it was the last thing I did!

Having said that, it took me a good year to do this. It takes time and you are, I think, fairly early on?

It's difficult also to see your own progress. I made a note of what I could do and then as I progressed I could see the difference, as it was the only way I could evaluate this myself.

Be fair to yourself but be sensible. You know what is right for you, no one else does. Listen to that knee - it'll soon tell you if you are over doing things. Pace yourself and stop when you think "I'll just get that done before I finish".

Keep us posted please re how you are doing.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I don't know what your consultant is on about! I was told, by my GP, consultant, and others, that 90 degree bend was all I could expect after a TKR. My GP even questioned whether I should have the op as I had super-bendy knees before it, but I was in extreme pain and could hardly walk, so I didn't care about the bend. I actually got super-bendy knees back after the TKRs (though not quite as good as before of course), but everyone was really surprised.

The point I'm making is that you've got as far as most people are expected to. Anyway, it's your knee, ultimately. If you're happy with that, then BE HAPPY!!! Things will get better anyway; in my experience they'll go on getting better for far longer than the year to 18 months you'll get quoted. And if not, so what? As you say, 90 degrees is good enough for all you need, so get on with life. Oh, and tell your consultant to get lost! He doesn't need to be happy; you do.
  • Graciesmum
    OH how flippin wonderful you all are on here!!!!!!!!!

You make me feel soooooo much better.

I was told it's the best knee available for TKR and will bend magnificently - Bryan actually asked him 2 weeks post op if 90' was all I could expect and he said I should get much more. So this is why he said he "wasn't happy" and he'd get me in for bloods and manipulation.

A bit surprised I think by my refusal. Why do we want more anaesthetic??? It was a worry pre op as I wanted GA not spinal and they faffed about with that and had me worried but I got my GA. (Just me needing to be sure I was asleep) .

So thankful to you all for saying I don't need to be worrying, I actually did quite a long dog walk today and have now driven the car so some progress.

So true that it's me who knows how it feels and yes it feels odd, but so does the other one 8 years on.

I'm 14 weeks now so nothing in the big event of things.

You have all been through a lot and I thank you for sharing with me , if it's any consolation for your suffering it is a help to not feel alone.

Love to all

Suexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    How many new knees has your surgeon had? :roll: My guess is none and he dares to lecture you? :? Twerp.

I am still the proud owner of my original versions, and feel blessed to have around a 75 degree bend (how low are my standards?) but they won't fully straighten which is a far more useful function. I walk with all the elegance of a drunken gorilla - and that's with my crutches etc. :lol:

For what it's worth I reckon you are doing OK - keep doing what you are doing, don't push yourself too hard, and your reward will arrive in due course. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Graciesmum
    Thank you so much, every single word is a help . Need a "like" button coz I sure do xxxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I agree with DD re her description of your consultant "twerp" sounds just right.

Bet he hasn't got one TKR let alone two!

Keep going, you will get there. It doesn't matter when - you'll do it in your own time.

Be kind to yourself and take care,
    Grace

(Thanks for the PM'ing - it makes such a difference to me).
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Graciesmum
    Always felt I should do exactly what they say . But everyone on here has give me the confidence to take my condition into my own hands, to some extent and just go with it.

Had a couple of hours gentle gardening yesterday, (with many stops to sit on a garden chair!) the head gardener is back! and such a lift and achievement physically and spiritually.

We can do it!!!! You are all so helpful and kind and Grace your messages help me immensely too.

Love to all xxxxxxxxxx