What to do in Amsterdam?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 4. Apr 2015, 03:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
To be exact, what to do with about 4-5 hours in Amsterdam bearing in mind I'll be travelling by wheelchair with an extremely kn*ck*r*d pusher.

We'll have rather too long in the airport there on our return journey but may well just doze as we'll have been up and about for around 18hrs by then. On the other hand if there was somewhere nice within easy access.....
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oooh, we're going to Amsterdam on April 22nd! I have looked at a guide book, but as we are arriving by ship from Newcastle, I'm not even sure how close Schipol is to the city itself.

If it's close to a mealtime how about a nice cafe and a seat by one of the canals if it's fine?

PS You can't get any 'special cake' now unless you have a resident's permit - just in case you were tempted........................ :o
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    :lol: sorry, I can only think of inane responses involving getting high but Schipol is quite a way out of the city I think.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    All I can say is that their cafes serve great pain relief :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My good friend lives in The Netherlands in a little village, she always talks about the museum's in Amsterdam so they maybe worth checking out. Schiphol Airport is pretty big if I cam remember it!!
    I found this in case you fancy a private tour round Amsterdam and delivered back to the Airport!!
    http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Amsterdam-Layover-Tour-Private-City-Sightseeing-with-Round-Trip-Airport-Transfer/d525-5595LAYOVER
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Maybe the airport staff will be able to help..bet they get lots asking the same question..think after 18 hours I would be chilling out with a few coffees in the airport.. :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Thank you, bubbadog. That sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, after 10-11 hours on a plane, I don't think we'll be up to it :roll:

To those who suggested 'cake' I assure you we could get all the 'medicinal marijuana' we wished on Venice beach. I prefer the prescribed and regulated meds.

LV, I think you're right. I was hoping for a nice peaceful bit of greenery where we could chill out but I think Barbara has it - airport coffee it is.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lou001
    Lou001 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Schipol airport is that big, you could easily spend 4/5 hours in there. There are so many different shops / restaurants and coffee shops to choose from.
    There was a one stop massage shop when I was there in November, I made use of that!! :D
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Try the Rijksmuseum. Its large,warm,dry and you can get something to eat there. google will tell you more,it is many years since I was there.