Leaked email re. planned welfare cuts

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 1. Apr 2015, 11:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
There was a report in the Guardian yesterday regarding leaked emails on planned welfare cuts should the Conservatives win the next election. Amongst them is the plan to make disability benefits taxable. Just thought I would post this as it would affect a lot of us on here.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I also heard that the Tories were going to reduce PIP for those of working age :shock: I hope that's just rumour, but we should all ask our prospective MPs about these things from all parties I think

VERY scary!

As if they haven't done enough?!

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    I don't know if the other party will do similar but we do have the chance to get this lot out soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    They will have a free hand if they get back in, the trouble is do we trust the others...I know I don't..but at least if they are voted out they know we are no longer pushovers.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    As a certain Mr IDS is my MP, not my fault (!) if the tories come knocking on my door I will raise this. You can, if you wish make a case that people choose to have large families or not work etc. but I'm not aware of any one choosing to be disabled.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    I read that they might tax DLA/PIP, that would certainly reduce the amount you get if they go ahead. :shock:

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Totally the point Slosh and KathT - the tax might well explain it :(

Grrrrr!!!!!

DLA was an 'extra cost' non-means-tested non-contributionary benefit. Meaning it was for work-age people to compensate them for the extra cost of having a disability...whatever that was. Walking aids, adapted vehicles, etc

Sorry I've gone off on one again!!!!

I think I might ask to see my MP not wait for him to pop round - I am CROSS!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    The idea is to get everything means tested, although they are a bit cagey about means testing pensioner benefits. If they are going to do it then they will have to means test everything to make it fair.

I remember my Nan telling me that you had to sell anything of worth before you were given any help in the 'old days' (note my Nan was born in the 1890's).

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    If taxing of disability benefits goes ahead the the only conclusion I have is they we don't matter. So vote for someone else.