Advice on Amytriptyline please

Options
angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 8. Apr 2015, 12:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

Some of you may remember I posted a while ago about pain management and a visit to my GP.

I saw the Dr yesterday and he has prescribed Amitryptiline for my arthritis pain...he did actually explain that he would like to try me on this rather than Naproxen...gave me the lowest 10mg dose to start on. He also explained it is an antidepressant which is now used for pain relief.

I would like to ask forum members who have been on this drug about their experiences with it...side effects, I believe are drowsiness the following day and dry mouth.

Anyone any information to share regarding this medication?

Thank you
Angilee

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was on it for a while, initially 10mg then up to 20 mg after two weeks and finally 30mg before a consultant changed me to Duloxetine.

I was also on Naproxen at the same time as I was told the Naproxen as an anti-inflammatory was for my OA, and the amytripyline for my neuropathic pain.

It made me feel queasy at frst for a few days and it did give me a bit of a dry mouth, as does the Duloxetine but I just keep boiled sweets handy for that. It does cause drowsiness, but as I took mine at night that wasn't too much of a problem and they did help me sleep. Good luck with them and I hope they help.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Angilee
    I have never been told this is for pain relief, but to help me sleep, its not really a med for the day has it really does knock you out at night.
    I take it at 6.30 in the evening for bed at around 10..in the early days it did leave me tired for a few hours after getting up, but that soon wore off less than a week I would say, I am now on 50mg..and started on 10..I am now in the process of bringing it down to 25mg..then hopefully 10.
    Hope this helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I've been on amitriptyline for a while now, to help with nerve pain. Taking it about an hour before bed-time works best for me. I do get a dry mouth, but keep some mints handy for next morning. At present I'm on a 30 mg dose.

Hope it helps you.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Angilee

I took this drug at night 5 years ago for one year. A gastro prescribed it to me to slow my body down. This drug has many uses and in a higher dosage it is used as an antidepressant.

I cannot remember any significant side effects. I vaguely remember that in the morning I felt bit whoosy for a while. I have a dry mouth quite often so do not remember this as any more of a problem.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi Angilee

I'm on Nortypoline, which is a similar drug but supposedly with fewer side-effects than Amytripoline. I started on 10mg, but last year that was increased to 25mg to assist with some pain relief as well as the neuropathic pain ... now I have to take it for Restless Legs too! Damn it!

I was put on Naproxen at one stage, but didn't survive a week on it -- don't get me wrong, it was a great painkiller -- best pain relief since the pain arrived, but as they didn't give me Omneprosol too it made a mess of my stomach, so off I came never to be put back on it!

Good luck
    Scozzie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Scozzie

That is interesting that you have been prescribed a similar drug to amitriptyline for your RLS because for most people that makes it much worse. Saying that,when I was put on amitriptyline for a year by a gastro I found my RLS improved but I am one of the lucky ones where it comes and goes. I am sorry that you are suffering with this debilitating condition too.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • LemonMerigue
    LemonMerigue Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I was on this for a llittle while. I didn't have any adverse effects as far as I'm aware. I had it for nerve pain and to help me sleep at night. It definitely knocks you out and for about a week or so I was still a bit groggy in the morning but it soon passed. I can't say it did much for me pain wise but it definitely kept me sleeping. Due to the nature of arthritis I was at a very low point and with it being an anti depressant I felt a lot higher in spirits after taking it as well.

I would say my experience with it is a positive one.
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, no personal experience but OH was on it for a while for bad sleep. Try to avoid driving and alcohol while you’re on it. It may take up to 4-6 weeks for drug to work. You can help with drowsiness by taking it 3 hours before bed. I guess, you would be fine as 10 mg is really a very good starting dose. If you feel too sleepy even at this dose, you can ask your doc for alternative medicine. Chewing sugar-free gum or sucking sugar-free sweets, will help you cope up with dry mouth.

Jaclyn.

Hi Jaclyn
    Welcome to the form, I'm sure you will find support, advice and light relief here.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis "hangers on" or look after family with the same. I you need help with the technicalities of the forum just get in touch via a personal message.

CJK Mod.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I have been taking 30mg of this drug for just under 1 year now, the only side effects I have ever noticed are sometimes it can give me a dry mouth at night and at the beginning it used to make me feel hung over in the mornings but that soon went away. Other than that I experience nothing and plan to come off the drug when things improve for myself.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Hi, I've got OA and Fibromyalgia and I'm on 25mg Nortriptyline - I've been up to 50mg but dropped down - to help with night pain, restless legs and sleep. It certainly works for me and I no longer have long sleepless nights. I began with 10mg and worked up slowly over a few months.

I found I had a dry mouth at 50mg, but have no side effects with 25mg. I always take it about 6.30pm and don't have any after effects in the morning.

I hope it works well for you.

Meg
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Angilee,

I take 10mg Amitriptylene at night to help me with my waking headaches. I've been on it for well over a year and although I still get the headaches 4 days out of 7 they're not as bad. The biggest advantage I find with this medication is that it helps me sleep. Even after I've got out of bed to go to the bathroom I drop off again as soon as my head touches the pillow. In times past my RA would keep me awake long after Mr Legs was snoring away.

I haven't noticed any side effects at all and will keep taking this drug as a good restful night helps us battle the day ahead.

Hope this helps. :happye:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'