leflunomide wash out

Options
Jaclyncollin
Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
edited 7. Apr 2015, 08:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have a RA for past 6 years. I have been on leflunomide for past 3 months. Last blood test showed my WBC count is gone below normal level and my rheumy wants to wash it off from my body as early as possible. Though I understands his concern, I am little nervous with this, especially because this has been happening 2nd time after Meth. How soon I can start other medicine and how my RA can be controlled during all this time? Has anyone gone through this kind of experience? I understand I need to have a discussion on this with my rheumy, but I am just trying to get information beforehand. My clinic has called me back on Monday.

Being a nurse I know about medicines a bit, their benefits and limitations. But I guess, it’s more of mind game that you fail to accept the things :? .

Jaci.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome from all the Mod team.

It may be a little quiet this weekend with it being Easter. I'm sure you will find some help soon though.

The Mods are here to help you if you have any problems with the site, we all have one or more forms of arthritis, or look after family members so we all know where you are coming from too.

Do feel able to comment on any posts - just join in where you feel comfortable!

Take care
    Mod Yx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hi Jaci and welcome from me, too. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers. I've had a few med changes but can't recall gaps. Maybe that's because I didn't have serious problems with any. It was just that they'd .stopped being effective. Leflumomide was a bit different in that my GP whipped me off it when I had severe breathing problems. I then went onto meth and hydroxy. I've come off the meth once or twice for operations and coped OK for a week or two. Quite what constitutes a washout I've no idea. I'd guess, in your case, it means until your blood count is back to normal. If so it's the old 'how long is a piece of string' question. I guess pred might be a possibility in the interim. Good luck for Monday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • OdamL
    OdamL Bots Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I don’t know about washout but I do agree to feel terrifying about it. Hope you get some alternative in between your blood levels come to normal. It’s must be tough for you, It’s but natural to feel helpless, when you lead life that’s governed by medicines and not to mention, side effects of them could be common, frequent, and disruptive. Moreover, they only offer treatment of the symptoms, not a real solution to the disease. But I am sure, with good and understanding rheumy, you will continue to get benefits.

Sorry, I am of no real help to you; recently joined forum as I'm trying to learn all I can to help me understand this disease a little better. Hope someone more experienced joins the thread soon.

Odam.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Jaci
    Sorry I'm another that cant offer any help, but just want to wish you well with your Rheumy appointment, I do hope they can offer something in it place..it must be such a worry when these meds have to be stopped.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I stopped lef due to appalling headaches but I was not offered that kind of treatment. Whenever a drug has disagreed with me I am taken off it and left with nothing until it has cleared my system. The last time this occurred was back in 2007. I am sorry that I cannot help further. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, I was taking leflunomide until it began playing havoc with my liver and I was told to stop it immediately. No-one offered a wash-out, and I just had to wait until it cleared from my system before starting humira.
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for replies. Appointment went well; my rheumy got a time to brief me (though very quickly) about the procedure. Leflunomide has a long half life, in order to get rid of it faster, they will give me some tablets, after due completion of it I can start another regimen, probably humira. But they need to keep close watch on my blood count till it comes to normal. Unfortunately, there is no alternative with which I can manage meanwhile, except my regular painkillers; that’s tramadol/co-codamol. Praying for flare free period till then :roll: .

Thanks again.