Pregabalin.......what do you think?

Options
Sparky75
Sparky75 Member Posts: 5
edited 6. Apr 2015, 06:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there

I've been prescribe Pregabalin for pain relief on top of Naproxin. The problem is that I've read the side effects and weight gain/increased appetite are worrying me ALOT!

I can't afford to gain anymore weight......can you post your own experiences of this pain killer please?

Thanks in advance
X

Comments

• suellen
    suellen Member Posts: 4
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My husband takes this, he has gained a great deal of weight, he tells me that they work for a couple of hours and then his just waiting to take the next dose. Some people in a cognitive therapy group he attended couldn't tolerate the Pregabalin at all and it can make you quite sleepy, he sleeps for around two hours during the day.

I have noticed that the Pregabalin that the chemist now dispenses is the generic one (the cheaper brand) my husband has just started to take this, so it will be interesting to see whether or not the generic is still as affective as the real one!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sparky75
    I take 300mg of pregabalin a day.this is counted has a low does ..the only side effects were feeling drowsy at the beginning but I have got used to it now, and it is the only thing that really helps my back pain
    Has for weight gain I do need to lose some but haven't put any on in the year I have been on it..hope it works for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sparky75
    Options
    Thank you Barbara x
  • Sparky75
    Options
    Hi suellen

Is his weight gain due to the tablets increasing his appetite or they've actually put the weight on?
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning Sparky. I started these not too long back, maybe a couple of months now. They have worked really well. In fact I didn't even realise how much of my pain was nerve pain till I started these. As for weight gain. . I have put a stone on since I started them. Before I did I was actually losing lots of weight. That was due to the sulphasalazine. They made me lose my appetite completely. My appetite has been slowly increasing now. I just hope that that settles down. As for the side effects. I haven't noticed any actually. The other option I was given was gabapentin. I had taken these many yrs ago but didn't really get on well with those.
    I'm on the generic Pregablin now and they work fine for me.
    We are all very different beings though. Lol

Best of luck with them. Keep us up to date. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, I have been on pregabalin in my initial days, when I was fighting for pain relief. My doc was clueless that time and he thought I was suffering from nerve damage. I was on 300 mg and gained hefty amount of weight, surely. No matter how much I remained active, and watched my diet, I couldn’t control weight gain. However, soon pregabalin stopped giving me benefits as it used to give or maybe my inflammation has increased beyond its reach and I have to stop it.

I think the effect is due to both partly because it increases your appetite and secondly it messes with your metabolism. Hope it helps. But it would be unfair to judge its response to your body based on our experiences, because everyone of us can react differently to different medicines.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sparky75 wrote:
    Thank you Barbara x
    You are very welcome..just be aware that you do feel tired at first, thats why they up it slowly...if you work, try and take the first at the weekend..or on a day or two that you aren't doing much ...and please let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara