Crashing Crutches.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 9. Apr 2015, 10:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Those of us who use these things have all been there, haven't we? We think they are securely stowed behind chairs, at the foot of staircases or even just neatly propped against a wall then CRASH - we're once again playing our version of pick-up-sticks. Grrrrrrrrr.

Last night 'im indoors and me went to one of the local pubs to meet a couple of our oldest friends (we've known them for 25 years which doesn't seem possible). They had the foresight to book a table and, bless 'em, made it a big one so there was room to stow the blue Limbs. I propped them against the upright piano, wriggled past them and - you, you guessed it, CRASH. Picked up, re-propped, all was well.

Later in the evening a chap came in, sporting a pair of silver Limbs. He proceed to dis-arm himself, then - and this is GENUIS - he turned them upside down so they were resting on the cuffs. I was wedged behind our table but squealed with pleasure (yes, I am that sad) because at long last I saw a simple solution to a problem that has bugged me for years. My friend L (who is never backwards in coming forwards) questioned him about this as she voyaged towards the Ladies. He explained that his physio had passed on this useful tip. She relayed this to me in due course and he and me exchanged a thumbs-up. When he left he simply turned them the right way up, much to L's husband's disappointment: he was hoping said chap would stand on his head to re-don and then do a back-flip to right everything. :wink:

Pubs are not only for drinking and eating - they can also be used for learning. All my Limbs are now resting - not on their laurels - on their cuffs and not one CRASH has been heard since last night. I hope this simple tip helps those of you who use similar accoutrements. DD

:bunnysuit:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you DD, the tip has been duly noted, as I think it would work for my Fischer-handled walking sticks. I propped these against the counter in M & S one day a couple of weeks ago while attempting to juggle purchases, wallet & handbag - hubby having wandered off somewhere. A lady in the queue very kindly picked them up, and addressed me loudly & clearly : " There you are, dear." Of course, when one has walking difficulties everyone assumes you ate also either deaf or doolally.
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    WOW what a great tip thanks for that DD, and very true theresak you have to laugh or you'd scrike... :(
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Don't they just? :roll: It's the same when one is in a chair, the pusher will be addressed and the occupant ignored. Most rude.

I hope this works for your sticks, I would appreciate the feedback! And hello to you, Tenbury, the same applies. DD
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hello DD, well I have just turned my sticks upside down , no more crashing, happy days..
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thanks DD, brilliant tip, at work I have a couple of clips attached to my desk and thesame at home in my kitchen but this is a great idea for elsewhere. Could have done with it this morning when someone in Church leant back on the pew in front of mine and sent them crashing to the floor ... at a quiet point of course!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD they do have a mind of your own, in hospital when I had my THR they said to turn them upside down but do I remember... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Great tip DD!! When I've been out it is embarrassing when the crutches decide to go crashing down! Even at home it's a nightmare especially when the rugrats are playing around them and bring them crashing down. Will give it a try at home as well. Your right pubs are not just for boozing and eating but you can learn a lot from being in them as well!! Maybe schools should try being like a pub then kids would do better at educating!! :lol:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    Wonderful idea.....I'm upstairs at the moment but as soo as I go down I'm going to try it.
    I talk to mine ...SIT......shout at them, curse at them but it makes no difference at all.
    When we go out for coffee or a meal there isn't always a convenient place to prop them against.
    Right I'll let you know.....thanks a lot xx
    Love
    Hileena
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Brilliant idea, love it, will defo be using that one, it's a pain when you pick them up and then it happens again and again.

Any similar tips for walking sticks would be useful too, haven't worked that one out yet.

Thanks again
    Pat x
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    The simplest and msot obvious ideas are often the best. Genius!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • gretta
    gretta Member Posts: 74
    Options
    What a brilliant tip.
    I went round the house after reading this & turned all my walking sticks upside down & this morning they are all still standing. So works for walking sticks too, at least for mine they do.
    Thanks

Gretta
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, DD, turning my walking sticks upside down seems to work quite well.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello DD
    as we all know crutches will not stand up on there own. they need our help.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • polly123
    polly123 Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Hi DD, this made me smile! its almost like a secret handshake between strangers - if we meet another crutch upender knowing smiles will pass :)
    Works with my poles too!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am so pleased that this little tip has proved to be of use - I now think I shouldn't have disguised it under such a dull heading. :lol:

Having been confined to barracks today I have not had the opportunity to 'spread the word' but I will, and I hope you will too. We need to be equipped with life skills that others rarely have to consider, yes? DD
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Oh didn't walk for my walking sticks :-(( can't think what I'm doing wrong!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Thank you for this useful idea. I cannot even begin to count the number of times my crutches have tumbled. And why, I ask, do they always choose a quiet moment to draw attention to themselves, and therefore, embarrass the owner?
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Walking sticks may not have the breadth of support that is offered by the cuffs on elbow crutches. My walking sticks are the standard NHS pine ones with the lovely curved handle, so they are very easy to hang on the backs of chairs, door handles etc. DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello DD
    the crutches are very good at helping us walk we cannot manage without them they cannot stay up with out us.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Just thought I would mention that at the hospital today there were nurses walking past and looking at my upside down crutches ...no saying anything but I think wondering was I crackers :lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    what a great idea-I must try it!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein