Why does it................

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 8. Apr 2015, 09:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
..........hurt such a lot to just stand still for a period of time? I get that it hurts to move at anything faster than a sedate pace - indeed anything quicker than sedate is well-nigh impossible for me. However, our Easter celebrations at church are on the lengthy side, & the Easter Vigil in particular involved standing for quite a while. I kept swapping my candle from one hand to the other, praying - literally - that my fingers wouldn't relax their already poor grip, drop the candle and start a fire.

However, shifting from one foot to the other didn't help, or alleviate any discomfort, and I simply don't understand how much it hurts to stand still.Yes, I could have sat down - even though the 85year-old in the bench in front stood perfectly well without so much as a fidget - but the cussed bit of me didn't want to give in.

Why is it so painful just to stand? Answers on a postcard please............

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I find a very slow stroll much less painful than standing still. It was explained that it was because we are using other muscles and shifting the weight around. A gentle walk will use more and different parts of the body to just shifting from foot to foot. In some ways, the shifting makes it even worse.

You can't compare yourself to others, you don't know their life and their journey and they don't know yours.
    :happye:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tezz
    I haven't got a clue.....just know I'm the same.
    When I'm in church I sit down if it goes on too long....simple as!!!! :bunnysuit:
    Hope you had a nice Easter
    Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I'm in Hileena's camp, when I'm in church if I goes on too long or I'm too uncomfortable I sit down too.........but since I wear a dog collar and lead the services on a regular basis alongside hubby I try to make sure nothing lasts too long :wink: . One way of getting a more differently abled friendly organisation is to put folks in a leadership role who sometimes struggle themselves. As for dropping things due to arthritis clumsy hands........on one memorable occasion I completely failed to grip the plate with communion bread on and sent it flying off the front of the communion table to land upside down on the floor in front of it.......cue embarrassed silence and grovelling minister trying desperately to maintain some semblance of dignity whilst struggling to kneel down and pick things up :oops: .........good job they know me well and make allowances for my rubbish joints!

Happy Easter by the way!

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I must admit that these days I just stand up for the gospel. Every so often a suggestion is made that the communion is brought to me but I refuse that one! Getting used to taking the bread and wine straight into my mouth now and keep worrying that one day I'm going to end up with wine down my front.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    Options
    It also takes many more muscles to stand upright than to walk as once walking commences the momentum will carry you along.

Arthritis is a whole joint issue not just bone but ligaments and muscles too will get inflamed and angry so they will hurt if we stand too long. I worked as a lecturer until last year and my students were used to me sitting on a desk at the front facing them and then in the last couple of years using a wheelchair as it was easier. Only problem with that is - well if you sit too long we all know how that goes........

Good question though and nice to know everyone else has the same problem.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I cannot stand still for longer than a couple of minutes, it's a different kind of hurt which zings through my ankles and knees. I don't care if those who are decades older than me can stand still for hours at a time - I can't, end of. It makes drinks parties very dull, few talk to you when you are seated and, after a while, your neck starts to hurt from looking up at them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Pure pressure applied fixed through the same joints. When I was a student I used to work in a shop and the manager wouldn't let us sit down. It was so hard to stay stood up and I was renowned for going and putting all the clothes, boots and climbing gear in colour co-ordinated size order just so I could move around and not be told off for not being stood behind a till. That was pre-arthritis days so the thought of it now is basically impossible.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers and explanations - it is much easier to stroll than stand, and clearly I will have to sit down next time there's a marathon standing session. I already no longer kneel in church.

Deb, I enjoyed your post - made me chuckle. I used to be a Eucharistic Minister, but retired when I struggled to pick up the hosts at Holy Communion.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Re sitting down at parties ... due to my neck op I am restricted in how far I can raise my head to look up at people so my view can be rather interesting to say the least....
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi theresak..I am the same so you are not alone on this, its more painful to stand in one place than walk sometimes.. I do feel for you, but you didnt let yourself down at church so good for you... eastern_basket:
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    Options
    Thank you Barbara - we just soldier on!
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I'm another one who can't stand for long. I do a swaying, shuffling movement. I had thought I was odd, but I now know this is something unique to those who have Arthur as a companion.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm another one who can't stand for long, I start swaying without realising it and doing 'the weight shift shuffle!' If I'm at a social 'do/event/party' I find a wall to lean on until my OH can find me a chair. I am lucky with family social occasions as they are aware of my health problems and pretty much find a chair quickly for me.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Sounds as though we have discovered a new dance, The Arfur Shuffle! Wonder if we will see it on Strictly this year?
    Julian of Norwich