Hello to Elna!

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 12. Apr 2015, 14:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello Elna, if my memory is correct I think you are now on the countdown towards your operation, yes? If so I hope all is as well as possible with you and that it all goes smoothly. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD you are right I think her op is on the 11th thats if all is well..thinking about you Elna..and hope the shoulder op goes well and you have a speedy recovery... think this must be at least your 4th op now...Bionic Elna...(((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sending hugs ,hope all goes well. (((()))) Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Sending you hugs and hoping that you are OK now.....you are an old hand at these ops :lol: but must still be a bit concerned.
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi DD, thank you for remembering and Barbara too.

Thank you all for your good wishes. Yes it is the 11th and I had my pre op assessment today. Not looking forward to this one at all because the recovery is so long. If I can at least get rid of the intermittent pain that would be a bonus. I mowed the lawn and trimmed a hedge for the last time on Monday, for a long time. Hair cut tonight. I am wondering how I shall cope with drying my hair let alone having a shower. Cannot see Mr E blowdrying my hair. That would be a comedy act. I used to have my hair very short but have grown it a little longer and am now wondering if tonight I should have it all chopped off again so I need do nothing with it. :lol: decisions! ;)

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Elna, it's lovely to hear from you and thank you for spotting this dedicated thread. It's never easy preparing for any kind of operation but, all being well and after a good length of recovery time, you will once again be trimming hedges, mowing the lawn and blow-drying your hair.

I sincerely hope all goes well. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have been thinking about you in the approach to your op Elna and was wondering if it was still going ahead.

Short hair would be easier to manage and will dry quicker. How long do they think recovery will be?

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

The recovery time is far too long for my liking. :wink: It takes about 6 weeks to knit together. I am not sure exactly how long it all will take but I will have outpatient appointments at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and a year after surgery. I think I am in for a tough time!

The hairdresser did not scalp me but she did cut it shorter.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Glad you got your hair cut.....I got mine cut before my THR's and it made a lot of difference. :wink:

I also bought a shampoo online. Its a bottle of liquid. You just squeeze it on your hair, lather, and towel dry.....No bending no water. :D I had my doubts about it but it worked ......even Peter was able to do it for me and with short hair I got away with no blow drying :lol:

Its similar to a dry shampoo {spray} except that leaves my hair quite "chalky" this left my hair quite shiny and soft.
    I then invested in an extra couple of hairdressers appointments in between times.

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, Hileena! :-D

Elna

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope all goes well for you.

Deb xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Elna
    I'm another that had my hair cut very short for my THR..wish I could help with the hair drying...there are some good dry shampoos that might help...if I know you it wont be long before you are back to gardening..even if it is one handed for a while..we are all behind you...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I put my hairdryer in a large vase and put the vase on the table. Sitting on a chair in the air flow I then move my head around and change my seating position to suit which side of my hair I'm drying with the odd downward stroke of the brush. Sometimes it falls okay and sometimes it cocks up a bit but at least I'm able to do it by myself.

Good luck with your surgery and with your recovery. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Dibdab

Thank you for your good wishes. :)

Hi Barbara and Linda

I have had my hair cut shorter but not as short as it used to be and may even be able to get by again without having to use the drier. I remember your tip Linda, from a long time ago regarding the vase. I shall experiment tonight! ;)

Love
    Elna

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope all goes well. I have short hair anyway but had it cut extra short before my neck op last year as I had to wear a collar afterwards for 7 weeks until my first check up.
    Had a similar pattern of follow up appointments to yours as well and it does seem daunting but it does mean that they are keeping a close eye on you.
    Will be thinking of you
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Slosh

Thank you. I had a spinal op a couple of years ago and they operated through my neck and I too had to wear a collar afterwards for quite a while, especially if I left the home environment. My hair was very short then. It does make life easier. I have had such short hair for so long that I did start to grow it longer last June. My hairdresser did what I asked on Wednesday and it definitely will be much easier to manage. It is not as short as it was years ago and it will grow again.... :)

Elna

• barbara12
    Options
    Thinking about you Elna and hope the op goes well and you have a good recover...many positive hugs coming your way...((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    hoping the op went well and you are now recovering.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope all is as well as possible. DD
  • barbara12
    Options
    Day 2...usually the worse one going off my THR..but hope all is well Elna and you will soon be home...(((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara