Blue Badge Mobility Assessment-worried

2»

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 779
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So sorry to hear this. It is just appalling! Wishing you all the best for your appeal.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Trisha..sorry I missed this thread ..
    I read your post about the interview, and I am appalled at how you are being treated.. :x I think there aim is to get has many has possible off the blue badge scheme..if only they had to struggle with pain and every day living .maybe they would have more sympathy..you must appeal and get cab involved then you are not on your own...good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Thank you everyone. I've spent 2 days writing a comprehensive Appeal letter, and have contacted the professionals managing me for their support. I've included why I felt the Assessment was not accurate with specific examples (eg when she didn't watch me) plus argued that being in severe pain when walking so that you're actually sweating with the effort does constitute 'very considerable difficulty' in my book (and I'm a nurse with 37 years experience!) I've also alluded to the way I was treated, but tried to be 'professional' about it. I've even offered my help in reviewing the system!

The stress of this, plus all they typing has actually started a flare up for me to add to it all! Arghhhh!

The only good news is that the nice man at the BB Office who had to tell me I hadn't got my BB actually did seem to listen to me, and has given me a discretionary 2 weeks on my current BB (that's going to expire tomorrow) so I can at least get to my next appointments. Shame he didn't do my Assessment!

I will let you know how I get on.

For anyone else going through this my tips are....1 Don't walk faster than feels comfortable to 'catch up' with the Assessor....walk as slow as feels best for you (subconsciously you try and walk faster!) 2 Make sure you stop to rest when you need to and that the Assessor sees that 3 If you are in severe pain tell her, grimace, cry out...anything to show them how you feel-don't try and battle on 4 If you are wearing support strapping or anything tell them 5 If you need to rest afterwards make sure someone witnesses you sitting there recovering 6 Time how long you are in the app for 7 When 'doing the stairs' really take your time and point out if you are using your arms to pull yourself up etc if shes not watching 8Tell them afterwards if you feel they havent heard everything you want to say 9 Write down all the details when you get home!
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Sounds like you have a good plan, and I fervently hope you win your appeal. These assessors are so unfeeling - they seem to be on a 'power trip' no matter how we might be struggling.

Your tips are very valuable, so thanks for those, and the very best of luck for the next step.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Sorry to hear this result. BB's are an essential for most of us - they're not a luxury. I, too,would appeal the decision. Can you get your GP to support you with this and any consultant you are currently registered with?

I sincerely hope this awful decision can be over turned.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Well, I spent 2 days typing my Appeal (which gave me hand, neck and back pain!). I obtained letters of support from my GP, Rheumatologist, the Equalities Dept at work and my Manager. I also had an OT functional assessment, arranged urgently by my rheumatologist. The OT said she was appalled I hadn't been granted a Blue Badge and wrote me a detailed letter of support. She actually said if I didn't get one she would speak to her MP! Anyway, today I found out my Appeal was successful and I will be re-issued a Blue Badge. In the meantime this has taken hours of time and caused a flare. I have written to the council with my suggestions regarding the Mobility Assessment and how I feel it should have been conducted. All this has been pretty exhausting....and what if I wasn't able to argue my case??? Hopefully I won't have to go through all that again (apparently next time I wont need an Assessment). So relieved to have my Blue Badge -the thought of life without it was unthinkable.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Good :D Common sense rules - at last.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    So pleased you got your BB, thanks to your successful appeal - but sorry you had to go to such lengths to get something which you deserved in the first place.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Great news and a huge relief for you
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich