Hyaluronic Acid injection and a ridiculous heat-rash

Options
Ladybrown
Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
edited 12. Apr 2015, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all - back after an exhaustive end of term, followed by a bout of a nasty virus to keep me in bed for a while (only 3 more months of full time work, thankfully!).

After a tricky couple of months I finally decided to get the hyaluronic acid injection for my knee - the most recent appointment with my surgeon was pretty upsetting but he did say that if nothing else works he will be willing to replace me knee which was a bit of a relief! In the meantime it's back to the GP to ask for new scans on the other knee because it is deteriorating quickly (nearly shouted something very rude across the classroom when the kneecap popped out a couple of weeks ago - lucky my students are too polite to lip-read!).

So - injection was this afternoon. A bit uncomfortable but nothing to write home about. Consultant warned me it can hurt to begin with so resting with my feet up and codeine appears to be keeping it under control (only bent it once - avoiding that for the moment...). Should know more in the next couple of days and will let you know how it goes. It's not cheap, but if it works it'll be worth it.

Feeling a bit grumpy about a heat rash which I seem to have developed - it happened last year as well until I stopped taking the naproxen so have done so again - GP on monday sp hopefully will get some kind of replacement.

Now, to attract my OH's attention and request some tea :lol:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am wary of rashes thanks to the injected meth, my skin is now very photosensitive (which I believe is a side-effect of many meds). I keep out of the strong sun and dress to reduce the impact of sun on my arms and legs. I always wear a scarf to protect my neck and use year-round hand creams with an SPF factor.

I hope you keep resting the joint over the weekend, whoever or whatever designed the human body probably didn't think about the joint space being pressure-washed with jollop of various kinds! I also hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    Thanks DD
    Hoping the rash will wear off - it's a bit irritating and I got really burned last summer so am much more careful with the lotion!

Joint is starting to settle now, although it has been pretty unpleasant so far. Hoping for the best on results!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I never 'enjoyed' the two or three post-suck-and-squirt days: the joints hurt more and in a different way, they felt sore! The only steroid that did make a difference was put into my right ankle to treat the OA, and that lasted for some time. Keep up the resting, keep out of strong sun (we do need some of it for our bones) and start counting down the days to a more peaceful (and hopefully physically easier) life. I recommend retirement but I know I am fortunate in that The Spouse is still working. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ladybrown
    Options
    There is an oddly 'full' feeling to the joint - quite different to steroid injections I've had in the past. It's starting to settle so feeling quite optimistic.

Retirement would be lovely, but at 39 and the primary wage-earner I'm afraid I have to find a way to get through! Going down to 80% of full time and trying everything possible to sort the joint out is the best I can do. Thankfully the consultant says that he will give me a TKR if nothing else works so I am a bit more reassured than I was a few months ago.

On the plus side, I have spent 2 and half days reading on the sofa while my husband brings tea/biscuits and offers gin and tonic! :)