O/A in hands

Options
pringle
pringle Member Posts: 17
edited 17. Apr 2015, 09:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can any one who has O/A in there hands tell me if there middle joints are very swollen, and if they have from time to time have a blue tint over them , it stops there and the rest of my fingers are white ,I do have Reynaud's and Fibromyalgia but my hands are so very painful. with my right hand I cant at times bend my fingers , they go very hot and red over the past 12 months they have got worse I put it down to the weather and winter months ,but even with the warm spell we had there was no different in them

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello pringle I do have OA in my hand a couple of finger joints but the worse ones are my thumbs,I haven't noticed any blue tinge,I do get pain but not to bad and they certainly don't burn..wounder if that is the Reynauds..sorry Im not much help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I have OA in my fingers and the middle joints do get swollen and painful but I don't get a blue tinge.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Some on here soak their hands in warm water, with added Epsom salts: this can help to ease the stiffness etc. What are you taking in terms of pain relief and / or an anti-inflammatory medication and have you told your GP about these troubles? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pringle
    pringle Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for your replies
    Not a lot of pain relief that I can take can't take any ant inflammatory as they upset my stomach paracetamol give me headache , the only tablet I can take is codeine along with amitriptyline at night not ideal but do try and not to take codeine in the day , I once asked the DR what else was there I could try his answer was , shrug of the shoulders nothing really , really fills you with confidence , but as my hands have got worse will have to go back and see what he will say this time ,
    I was given amitriptyline for the fibro and not for O/A , I was sent for hot wax treatment on my hands but unfortunately was unsuitable because of the fibro even after 5 minutes my hands felt like they were on fire , tried it twice and had the same reaction so was told sorry you can't have any more treatment
  • Dawny
    Dawny Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have really bad O/A in my hands (and getting bad everywhere else), my thumb is worse having an operation anytime soon to take out the bone on thumb joint, My hands go very blue and looked bruised. Had injections and did not work. My hands have been bad for years having carpal tunnel op 15 years since on both hands and cubital tunnel only last september and only when i told the doc they was still the same and my thumbs hurt worse did they x ray my hands after 17 years of telling them how much they hurt. Result immediate op im 51 years young and he said they are worse than a 65 year olds, just mad as i could have had some kind of pain relief a lot earlier.. Ache all over going to have bloods done to see if also got Rheumatoid, as both run in my immediate family.. Thanks for listening.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello Dawny

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod B