Decision week - gulp!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 16. Apr 2015, 16:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, on Wednesday I see my consultant to discuss what happens next with my left ankle. From the way it's swollen today I know something has to be done.

I was told 2011 by the consultant I saw then, that the next step was "brutal and bone destroying surgery" - when I queried this, I was told it means a fusion. I am sensible enough to take the advice of the consultant but speaking as a person who had a total of 9 ops to their right knee (the 9th was finally the partial replacement); one op so far to the left ankle; one op so far to the left knee (that needs replacing within the next year or so) plus two attempts at spinal injections (no joy there unfortunately - fusion long term needed) I am, naturally, reluctant to "leap" upon the operating table but sadly I don't think I've got a lot of other options open to me.

Anyway, if anyone is free on Wednesday to send me some positive vibes, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,731
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can understand your reluctance. I come from the opposite end of the spectrum - 3 TKRs, 2 THRs and a mastectomy and all excellent. I know ankle surgery is 'newer' though and there is the potential for a knock on effect on other dodgy joints. However that could be for better, not worse. Personally, I'd go for it, if offered.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 779
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday, Grace and sending positive vibes your way. I hope it goes well for you.

    Meg
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you too. The thought of surgery is always daunting but in the end all we can do is listen to the advice we are given and then trust in our surgeons. I hope the appointment goes well and that if surgery is recommended that you don't have to wait too long.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always taken the view that surgery is meant to help and, in my experience of a number of operations, it usually does. The only time it hasn't was when I had my two open and one closed synovectomies but as they were pre-diagnosis of auto-immune arthritis that's hardly surprising.

    I would go for it but my circumstances are very different to yours. Count me in on Wednesday and I hope you will be able to let us know the outcome of the discussions. Good luck - I hope you will be happy with any choice you make. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'll be there with you. I understand your reluctance and I hope you have a useful and productive appointment which helps you work out what to do for the best.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Grace..having surgery is one of the hardest decisions to make...has you already know..someone once said to me you will know when the time is right, but I still had to be talked into it...I will be in your pocket..and hope that the appointment points you in the right direction..good luck will be thinking of you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Grace,

    I`ll be thinking of you as you make your decision - only you can decide, of course, but plenty of positive vibes coming your way.

    Good luck!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I wish you well for tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • felix
    felix Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    take your guardian angel with you grace there`s one for all of us.
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
    Carl Sagan.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind replies. I'll update you after my appointment.
    Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • OdamL
    OdamL Bots Posts: 11
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can understand this lack of enthusiasm, Grace. It’s totally reasonable. But all we can do is to trust our surgeon and follow them, isn’t it? If you try to look at this situation in positive way you will understand, the ultimate goal of these surgeries is to decrease pain and maintain function. I hope this makes a sense. Even a good surgeon will do whatever is possible to postpone or avoid an ankle fusion.

    As far as this surgery is concerned, one of my blood relative had it done in recent time. It can end your agony, offer flexibility and can improve quality of life too. However, the decision to go down the route of surgery should be made very carefully. I guess, you have already accepted the reality, as you mention you have not left with many options. If I would be in your situation, I would go ahead for surgery, as this is the next best thing I can see. I hope appointment helps you to make the best possible decision for you.

    Odam.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you Odam for your kind words.

    Appointment went as well as it could. He needs an MRI as the x-ray I had last September wasn't showing anything on top of the ankle itself. Although I have an appointment for the MRI it's 5 weeks away so I've been put on the cancellation list for this as I am only 25 minutes away from the hospital. I hope this will shorten the wait significantly.

    Consultant feels this is likely to be a cartilage problem and/or the sub talar part of the ankle. Once I've had the MRI done I see the consultant in clinic and we plan what's next.

    If only my GP had done an MRI before I saw the consultant as I'd asked but GP wanted consultant to order this... I suspect the word "budget" comes into play here!

    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!