Flights and Arthur

Options
Kittkat
Kittkat Member Posts: 309
edited 22. Apr 2015, 06:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
I was just wondering if you have found flights have made Arthur worse ? I am in New York (7 hr 20 flight ) and my joints are quite honestly excruciating . Havnt had pain like this from them . I was limping after the flight . They seem to be on fire . I don't usually get flare up the pain is just the same for me these days .

Thanks

Kat x
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi kittkat. I am in Los Angeles right now. We come here every year to visit our son and grandson. I have no problems with the flights but I would if I didn't use my wheelchair in the airports. For me, it's the standing around that gets to me. I also walk around a lot on th3 plane. Keeping well hydrated by drinking plenty of water and fruit juice ensures I have to keep walking to the loo amd back. I hope you'll have a better jourmey back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, certainly they can. I was traveling back from Dubai last year (approximately 7 hours journey); it ached so badly making joints stiffer progressively. Movement or exercises while sitting couldn’t help much. Due to excessive turbulence staff didn’t allow much moving around in flight. Not to mention, I got one of my worst flare after coming back :cry: , swollen knees, constant pain as if my knee is broken. I think changes in air pressure contribute too.

Jaclyn.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    There are many factors to travelling that can make Arthritis worse, the extra stress, the time difference, standing around etc etc and being stuck in a pressurised cabin does not do our joints any good.

I used to suffer for days on end after 10 hour flights to the US but that was before I ever used a wheelchair in the airport, now I use one each time and it really does help. I also try to walk around the aircraft cabin at least once every hour for a good 5-10 mins, that also seems to help with ankle swelling if you suffer from that during flights.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When I go abroad my feet swell to three times their size it can get to the point I can't lift my feet up! It can make them painful and hot! And it takes a good couple of months keeping my feet elevated to help them go down. Hope they feel better soon.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I have to admit my recent 30 plus hour flights to and from New Zealand left me with some "interesting" joints................I'm sure that taking SW's advice and swallowing my pride enough to ask for airport assistance made a huge difference, it reduced the stress of worrying about not getting to gates fast enough, and meant that I wasn't left standing in queues at the boarding gates. I think any time we put ourselves into a position where we have to sit in enclosed spaces for long periods we almost invite joint pain and stiffness, it's a matter of working out whether the rewards are worth the cost........it certainly was for me, a chance to spend time with my lovely son in a stunningly beautiful place, but I doubt I'll do it again....hopefully he'll be home later this year.

Deb x
  • northender
    northender Member Posts: 10
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    When I go abroad my feet swell to three times their size it can get to the point I can't lift my feet up! It can make them painful and hot! And it takes a good couple of months keeping my feet elevated to help them go down. Hope they feel better soon.

My feet swell up to the point loose fitting shoes will not go on my feet. I thought it was the norm for some. It lasts for a few days Is it the arthritis that does it?.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think most people's feet swell on long haul flights. In fact, I believe internal organs do too. Bloody thickens. It's very important to keep hydrated and keep moving about. I keep a pair of 2 velcro strap sandals for flights as I can loosen them as my feet swell. However, they should be more or less back to normal by next day. If yours are swollen for 2 momths, bubbadog, I think that must be due to a different problem.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • northender
    northender Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I think most people's feet swell on long haul flights. In fact, I believe internal organs do too. Bloody thickens. It's very important to keep hydrated and keep moving about. I keep a pair of 2 velcro strap sandals for flights as I can loosen them as my feet swell. However, they should be more or less back to normal by next day. If yours are swollen for 2 momths, bubbadog, I think that must be due to a different problem.

I only flew to Lanzarote, :D they still weren't right by the time we came home.
    I thought the rest of my body had puffed up too and wondered if that was possible, you just answered the question,cheers Better not go on any long haul I might pop! :shock:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Have I yet to fly anywhere with my gorillas but it doesn't surprise me that some form of payback appears. I find that anything involving my body being held in a certain position for any length of time results in increased joint discomfort, be it a car journey, sitting in a theatre or restaurant, or sleeping. Factor in the unnatural event that flying is , including all the walking and waiting and its effects on the whole body, then I reckon something is likely to happen as a result.

I guess the Scout motto of 'Be Prepared' is of use here. Do whatever you can to mitigate the natural response of an arthritic body to the demands you are placing upon it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    I feel for you ... last year, when I returned home to Oz for a holiday, I was very stiff when we arrived, but that was nothing compared to coming home to Scotland one of my knees was agony, and I was very careful to space my paindullers evenly over the 24-hour flights, both ways. Needless to say when we booked to fly to Naples this year I took advantage of the upgrade to extra leg -- lets hope it's money well spent ... lol!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Sticky, as my husband says I'm an enigma!! I think it may be due to the Fibromyalgia that my ankles stay swollen for longer! But don't quote me. If I move about a lot it can cause it to happen as well.