need some friendly advice please.

Options
northender
northender Member Posts: 10
edited 15. Apr 2015, 13:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I posted on another thread last year but was advised to start my own.
hope you folks can help.

I now know that I have osteoarthritis of the spine, degenerative disc disease and compressed /compacted discs in my spine.

Luckily, I am generally fine and do not really suffer with it, but some seemingly trivial things can cause a flare up. I Have a really good range of movement and don't need medicines and I want to keep it that way.

I am on my feet at work all day, which is fine so long as I have good mobility, in the last few months my job has been changed and the mobility has gone. I was put on a job last October, which basically caused me to start seizing up and I kept getting really strong spasms in my back, while I wouldn't say it was painful, it caused me to stop and to have to breathe through it. I would say it was like having a labour pain in my back but without the pain, weird, My sciatic nerve started grumbling and the discomfort was going down into my saddle area, I was also doing a repetetive job which caused pain in my hand and affected my grip. I still felt the effects through Christmas and into February, even though I wasn't doing that job constantly, I was breaking it up with a small amount of another job. I actually ended up under a physio, Then I fell down the stairs, (ouch) was off work 3 weeks. I went back to work and the supervisor who knows I have these conditions says she wants me on the pre- Christmas job that caused the problems full stop. When I said I was not refusing to do the job but I couldn't do it how she was asking she told me to get back on the sick. She has in the past told me I should have taken redundancy, get a job elsewhere, if I want to be mobile get a job as a cleaner, told me I was no good to her and proceeded to discuss it in a loud manner in another part of the building where, while no names were mentioned, everyone knew what and whoshe was talking about. People are saying that this is discrimination, bullying and they were disgusted with her discussing it in the manner she did. She refuses to make any adjustments to the job or let me break it up in a way that I can manage it. Where do I stand?
I am just trying to look after my long term health.
Sorry Its a bit long winded.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Could you ask to be referred to Occupational health as they can advise on things such as reasonable adjustments? Another route would be to contact your Union if you are in one especially in terms of your supervisor's attitude. Is there a more senior member of staff you could go to to explain your difficulties to?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    I concur with all the good advice from Slosh. I wonder whether your company has a Personnel or HR department that you could talk to? If your supervisor is the kind to bully there may have been concerns expressed before that could be followed up? Is it possible to request a transfer to another department that might suit you better with your current health issues? It's always worth asking in a polite and friendly way, perhaps putting it in to writing so that it's seen at a higher level that could influence the decision making? If you are in a union they can always provide good advice and support.

Deb x
  • northender
    Options
    There is no union they don't recognize? them. I suggested they just pay me off as I don't think I could ever work with her again.
    She is of the opinion that I could use it as an excuse to pick and choose what jobs I do. (this is a person who refused to do the same job due to the level of their skill).

I have spoken to HR and said her behaviour is unacceptable but did not make a formal complaint and got 30 mins over the phone with a solicitor, who advised me to go down the OH route, which I am prepared to do, also said lodge a grievance, but I want to avoid that if I can. My gripe is not with the company, they are pretty good to work for. The allowances I asked for is so tiny and would not have cost the company one single penny. It's just a blatant refusal on the supervisors part. I have been told by work colleagues that I am being "Punished"
    I don't think I'm covered by the equality act, as I'm not really that bad when all is said and done, I was advised by the doctor to avoid the triggers, and that is all I am trying to do. Should I take the money and walk, or should I fight my corner? Like I said I told them I never want to work with her again. I think someone higher up might be looking to see if anything else is available
  • northender
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    Could you ask to be referred to Occupational health as they can advise on things such as reasonable adjustments? Another route would be to contact your Union if you are in one especially in terms of your supervisor's attitude. Is there a more senior member of staff you could go to to explain your difficulties to?

no one more senior, they are the highest manager.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, sorry I have no advice to offer other than what has already been posted, but I just wanted you to know I hope you can get the problem resolved sooner rather than later.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You say she is the highest person but she must have a line manager, or is there an area manager? I would reccomend the OH route but as I am learning these things are never straightforward. It is a great pity there is no union you can get to support you as that is a route I am going down. I'm afraid I can't think of any other advice, perhaps if you gave a few more details about the type of organisation you work for, mentioning no names of course, and the structure there might be someone who can give you some advice more suited to your situation. Good luck
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • northender
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    You say she is the highest person but she must have a line manager, or is there an area manager? I would reccomend the OH route but as I am learning these things are never straightforward. It is a great pity there is no union you can get to support you as that is a route I am going down. I'm afraid I can't think of any other advice, perhaps if you gave a few more details about the type of organisation you work for, mentioning no names of course, and the structure there might be someone who can give you some advice more suited to your situation. Good luck

It is a mainly manual manufacturing industry, all other supervisors are answerable to this one, (they all stick together) after that HR and after that M D

I am only trying to follow my doctors advice, but, because It generally as a rule does not bother me unless I aggravate it, I think they reckon I will use it to swing the lead, SHOULD I follow my doctors advice even when it is not bothering me? As I worry that if I don't I may be doing more damage to the damaged discs that I have. Advice was no prolonged standing, plenty of mobility. they can't seem to grasp that for me, light static duties are worse that more physical mobile duties.
    I asked "what if I do a job that aggravates it, I need to be able to come and tell you that I need to change what I am doing". the reply was a straight "No you can't" asked if I myself could get the materials I needed to do the job. Again "No" yet two others are.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    This is a rotten position to be in, I think you are referring to the disability act, but In not sure what this covers,I think cab would be the best place to for you and ask to speak to someone that knows about working matters.
    I have the same in my spine but am retired thank goodness, but please don't do anything that causes pain in your back ..good luck with everything and please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara