Sulfasalazine

Options
YWD
YWD Member Posts: 32
edited 16. Apr 2015, 05:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well.... after what seems an age (10 months from seeing the GP with sternum pain), i have finally been prescribed Sulfasalazine. i have to read up on it yet.
I did ask id i could have a course or preds, but he wouldn't let me.... they worked a treat last time.
He also prescribed some physio for the pain in my back (started as sternum and now is whole of ribcage and shoulders.

the more i told him about my pain in my back, the more he harped on about my hands, which i don't worry too much about as i've learned to adapt to the pains in them.... but searing pain in my spine whenever i move is another issue

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I hope the SLZ works for you - it was the first DMARD I was prescribed after diagnosis. I tolerated it without any real side effects, but unfortunately it didn`t control my aggressive RA.
  • YWD
    Options
    Thanks Theresa

i have PA, and the Rheumy says only moderate, so fingers crossed :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello WYD..glad to see you have some help there,I had sternum and rib pain a couple of years ago and was told it was coming form my spine..still not so sure..hope you get some relief from the meds
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sulph was my first DMARD. I won't bore you with the details of my history but, in the thirteen years that I have been taking it, I realise that it helps to keep my skin mostly clear of psoriasis. In the initial weeks I bruised a great deal but only from the waist down. That eventually settled but I still bruise very easily (possible thanks to it and the other meds I take). I now have tinnitus, I believe this is a side-effect of the med but because it doesn't hurt it doesn't worry me.

I have a friend with PsA whose disease is well controlled with only four or six tablets per day. It can work very well for some and I hope you are included in that number. Pred is not a solution, it only disguises the trouble but does so in a rather lovely way. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    One further thing to add re. this drug . Sulfasalazine is yet another medication that can cause sun sensitivity , so please take care .
    mamasmurf
  • YWD
    Options
    Thanks all,

i realise that Pred isn't a long term solution, or indeed a good idea, but when my GP prescribed it last year, i had 3 weeks worth and the benefits lasted for 10 or 12 weeks, the pain relief was amazing.

Thanks for the heads up on the sun sensitivity

I do have to admit that this 'flare up' has lasted since November and steadily worsened, any twisting motion on my spine results in a very sharp pain throughout my chest area..... and after 4 or 5 months, it is really starting to get to me... my mood has definitely worsened... lord knows how the rest of you cope, as i do feel my pain is a lot less than most on here