A query on behalf of my brother

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 16. Apr 2015, 20:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone. Hope you are all as well as you can be.

My brother underwent surgery on his neck last September to remove two worn out discs which were causing problems with his hands. Sadly eight months later he is still showing no signs of improvement and the consultant just says "it's early days". He has returned to his admin job with adaptions to his work station, but struggles to get through a whole day. Because of his problems plus limitations on his neck movement, he has now had to employ a gardener and a cleaner. Also, the op seems to have left him with weak wobbly legs and can only walk short distances very slowly. He is wondering if he could claim a disability allowance and asked me to look through all the info on line, but I was just wondering what your views were as to whether he would be successful in claiming anything.

The wedding plans for our son are coming along and I am now in the process of looking for two outfits as he is having two ceremonies (don't ask me why). And then there are the shoes, bags, etc to match. Men have it so easy with just a new shirt and tie.

Best wishes to all.

Janet

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had a similar neck op last February, two discs removed and a fusion of the affected vertebrae. I also have some problems with my left shoulder/arm/hands and with my left leg.
    I was warned before surgery that there was no guarantee that my pain would reduce, and unfortunately it didn't and I remain on strong painkillers including one for neuropathic pain as there is pressure on my spinal nerve/cord which causes pain in my shoulders and both arms especially when I do too much. I still do my neck exercises daily as without them I start to loose the movement I do still have in my neck. I have had an access to work assessment and the equipment provided. However I was told at one of my follow up appointments that the aim of the surgery is to stop things getting worse rather than to make them better. Over the last year I have started to use two crutches due to a problem with my left leg, however the exact cause of this is unknown. I have seen a neurologist who felt the problem was caused by my brain shutting off the signals to my leg, but orths are not sure. Because of this and some other issues I am still having Orths reviews every three months.
    I did apply for PIP and was successful in getting standard rate for daily living.
    Hope this is of help. I also found things like an electric carving knife, can opener and jar opener very helpful, along with advice from Occupational health.

Hope this is of some help.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Thank you for your kind reply Slosh and I have been following your posts since your neck op.

I'll tell my brother about PIP and perhaps he can get some advice from the CAB.

Janet
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Individual circumstances are just that, individual. As with all benefits you wont' know until you try and it's always worth a punt! I feel for your brother, this must be a very difficult time for him and the prospect of things not improving as much as wished is always distressing. I receive higher mobility component of DLA (and will eventually be switched to PIP) and I use the money to fund fuel for the car, my massage therapist's fees, the gardener, buying any further kit I need and, annually, my online shopping pass and pre-payment certificate. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I would say it's worth a try. The benefit is there for this exact reason, like the others have said there is no way of telling what he may or may not get but I would say he is probably entitled to something. Seeking advise from CAB or a local disability charity would be your best source for information on this type of thing.

I wish your brother well