Abnormal Bloods?? serum electrolytes level

Options
lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 20. Apr 2015, 16:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I do hope you are all in good health?.

I have been struggling as late but coping as we all have to!, having acupuncture with physio - which left me with with huge bruising on the 4th session ? and not working ? - physio left needles in for over 40 mins - worrying it was too long?

I have a new joint flare - - My left thumb!! oh my I never realised how much I use it :( xx my question really is my recent bloods - had bloods on 1st April missed 2 calls from the surgery (didnt leave messages) they wrote to me today asking to contact the surgery to make an app - i rang today receptionist told me it was serum electrolytes level that was abnormal??? ive to ring tom to make an app with GP but i'm worrying (im such a worrier) just wondered if anyone had heard of it.

Whilst I am on here - wanted to ask if there is any link between stress and arthritis ? mine seems to be worse and mentally I am not in a good place at the moment!l, I dont think i have ever accepted my condition :(, hubby refuses to talk about it and just keeps saying 'ill be fine' - which sometimes I dont think I am - I am in a lot of pain ;-( he cant cope with it so I tend to keep a lot from him

Oh what a mess :-( can anyone help please ? xx

Lynne xx

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    So sorry to hear that things are difficult for you at the moment. I think most will agree that stress is not helpful to arthritis, but some of that may be as much to do with reduced ability to cope with pain etc as it is to do with actual physical problems caused by stress hormones. You might find it helpful to speak to the Helpline nurses(details on the main AC website - sorry I can't do clever things with links!), as just being able to get your worries into the open with someone who understands, rather than keeping it all bottled up, can make things seem more manageable, especially as your OH is unable to help you.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been recalled a few times by my GPs for a further blood tests but only because my figures don't match what they would like to see (they ignore my PsA because they don't deal with it). Usually the second set is fine. I have no idea what serum electrolytes are but if something is amiss I am sure something can be done. Stress can make things worse for us and it comes in many forms. We have to learn to ride the waves - I'm having a very rough time at the moment but so what? I have before, I will again and hopefully things will settle soon - they usually do. :wink:

My husband has finally stopped saying that things will get better because I think he has accepted that they won't. In my early days he felt helpless, men like to fix things, repair things, mend things and he has finally understood that none of the above apply to me. I reconciled myself with that years ago because the struggle of battling it was far too demoralising and debilitating. I tell him when I need practical help and he cheerfully steps in - that makes him feel useful and gives me a break. Over the years we have worked out how to live with arthritis, because it affects both of us but I see it as my problem, not his. This irks him.

We never know how much we use a joint until it starts to protest. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello lynnemarie
    You and me both are worriers..if my gp rings I start panicking..but I think at least these bloods test pick up on thing so they can be treated..mine pick up on Kidney disease I didnt know I had
    The rheumy said to me that stress is not good for arthritis and lots of others things, I have bought myself a CD for relaxation, and I make sure I get some me time..a warm shower then lie on the bed with the head phone on..bliss...I think this is a mans way of coping ...things will get better.. mine the same..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Some of this I remember from my nursing days, some I read up on from another site!
    Electrolytes are salts dissolved in your blood, they help nutrients and waste move in and out of your body cells. The main ones (there are others) are sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate.
    Measuring and monitoring (ie having a blood test, they might refer to this as "checking your U & Es") shows how effective your treatment is or your general state of health. It can show how well your kidneys and heart are working, some strong drugs can affect the kidney, so if you were taking something like that, the doctor might want to check your electrolytes regularly. If you were generally unwell and the doctor was not sure what the matter was, they might check your electrolytes.
    Low sodium could be caused by diuretic tablets or diarrhoea.
    Low potassium could be caused by diuretics too, raised could be caused by kidney disease or other drugs.
    Hope that's useful.
    As for stress, I think it can make a lot of things feels worse and affect your ability to cope with them.
    I too am not accepting of my lot and find it really hard not being able to participate in all the activities that my age group are doing, they are having such fun!
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies

I have had a trauma getting into the doctors - so I am still non the wiser!! which is frustrating!, I luckily work with an ex Nurse who briefling described what you have Fiona.

I am on Sulfasazaline, 4 daily - 200gsm, which I know can effect the liver and kidneys - which is part of the reason I have 3 monthly bloods! - I am under shared care so have bloods done at GPs and consultant at Hospital. I also take arcoxia 90sgm, co-codamol and amitrip
    I like to keep a close eye on my results - I am quite good at knowing which each one is, however I have never heard of this one before.

I have a constultation appointment on wednesday so I am hoping for some answers there!, I am not in a good place at the moment at all :-( xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have yet to reach the giddy heights of three-monthly bloods, I rather envy you. When I began sulph back in 2002 I was put onto fortnightly bloods and stayed so for years.

You are not alone in feeling down. I haven't felt this low about my PsA and OA for some time, in fact not since the OA was diagnosed in 2011. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    Options
    Hey DD I was weekly bloods - but moved to 3 monthly after a while!

Have spoke to GP it turns out its my CRP that is raised its normally under 5 its up at 36!!

:-(

Which actually makes sense as ive not been right for a while - and my thumb has decided to join in the arthritis party!!!!