Arthroscopy recovery time

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 19. Apr 2015, 17:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning! :)

I've had an arthroscopy before but it was in combination with an open surgery, so I am unsure of recovery time. I am due to have a bilateral jaw arthroscopy in May. I asked my consultant how much time should I plan to take off work and he said "oh, don't worry, not long!" which is good but not very helpful for my employer!

They are going to try to manipulate the discs back into place (eek!) and that may cause pain, so I'll be given pain relief which I assume will make me drowsy for a while. I read online that you shouldn't drive for 48 hours after a general anaesthetic, so I was planning taking 2 days off (day of surgery and following day) then planning to work from home for the 3rd day just in case I'm not feeling at my best. Does that sound sensible?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had one on my hip, I had a local anesthetic and came home in the evening..I was fine that day, but the day after I felt really wobbly, mind you it was my hip.. and had some pain nothing that paracetamol couldn't cope with...I am retired so didn't have to worry about booking days off..hope its successful for you ..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It sounds sensible but to my ears a little unrealistic. In an ideal world (and yes, I know we don't live in one) I would aim for at least a full week off work, just to give things time to settle. Surgical interfering can leave one feeling more than a tad wobbly for more than a couple of days and I don't think you should put yourself under too much extra pressure to return to work too quickly. Good luck with it though, I hope it does the trick! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I was feeling a bit frazzled because ages ago, I booked 2.5 weeks annual leave and then the procedure got booked for the day after I return! I've decided to cancel a few days of my planned leave which gives me more leeway if I need time off work after the arthroscopy.

I'm not sure if this makes me totally weird but I'm looking forward to it. I'm in so much pain and I'm hoping for some relief. I've got a lovely holiday first which is something to actually look forward to. :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    I'd go for a week Soph too.

There is a lass used to use this forum regularly who has had this done at least once that I know of. She was always under pressure to get back to work too.

I am pleased it's happening for you :)

Best of luck

Love

toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Just a thought I have had 2..one with local and another with general because they were having a look around the hip with a camera..have they said what they are doing..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    I'd go for a week as well, to be on the safe side. Good luck and hopefully it will bring you some relief