Dodgy hip joint

Options
mounteney
mounteney Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Apr 2015, 15:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have a "worn" hip joint and am in the queue for a replacement. I am not immobile but find that my hip joint (and Knee) become uncomfortable after a, variable, period of time -- nothing new there, I guess.

I find that pressing the palm of my hand on to the joint helps quite a bit and wondered what device(s) might be available to replicate the effect?

Has anyone tried anything? please inform.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mounteney

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Speaking of which, I've moved your post to the Living With Arthritis Forum where it is more appropriate and will hopefully get more answers :)

I look forward to reading your posts to the forums.
    All best wishes

Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi there and welcome. Before I had my first TKRs, and also when the first one was failing, I used to find my knees locked and wouldn't bend when I first sat down. I found shoving the offending one from the inside did help it to bend eventually.

Neoprene knee supports can help if worn for short periods of 'heavy duty' eg the supermarket shop but they shouldn't be worn for too long as they encourage muscles to atrophy and strong, supporting muscles are our best assets. I think there are hip supports too in disability shops but I never used them before my THRs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mounteney
    Options
    Hello Stickywicket -- thanks for your advice - this is a small town - I may have to travel to Belfast for a disability shop. Hopefully, I will only require a "device" for approx 2 months, but I suppose it might be longer!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Mounteney.

I also do this and it does help with the pain. i never thought to ask if there were any aids that could replicate this. I'll have to take a look around.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mounteney
    Options
    Elizabeth - greetings -- I am pleased to learn that someone else has found a means to lessen hip joint discomfort. I found numerous "devices" on Amazon (of all places!) but most look very cumbersome to don, and wear through out a normal day, however I haven,t given up yet and intend to revisit the site.

cannot be certain now but I think I entered "support for hip replacement" in Google?

If you have any success, please let me know===mounteney