Colds,sore throats and cough/Meth and Hydroxy

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 25. Apr 2015, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All
I have not been on for a while but do read everyday looking for ideas and suggestions. Hope someone can give me some today please.
I have been on meth and hydroxy (for RA) for almost a year. Has helped with arthritis so no complaints there also my scally skin on my feet and hands has cleared up. BUT when I got to November and had my flu and pheumonia jab within a few days I had cold, sore throat and cough, put on anti bio and no meth for a week.
Same happened again in January, March and again this week so am back on antibiotics for another 7 days. GP said it is the meth that is affecting my immune system as it seems I only have to look at someone with a cough or cold and I get it.
I am taking VitD and Cod Liver Oil. I also have regular blood tests.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to try to improve my immune system ?
I am due to see Rheumy Consultant on 27th.
I am on 10 meth tabs a week a 2.5mg each (25mg) and 2 hydroxy but not taking them whilst I am on anti bio
Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I am fed up with coughing.
Hope you are all having a good day, sorry feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's unwise to boost your immune system: its over-activity is what triggers the arthritis and the meth is designed to suppress it thus reducing disease activity. Yes, this does leave us more open to infections etc. but they can be avoided. Be both rigorous and vigorous about your hand hygiene and keep anti-bac spray and wipes to hand, wash your hands frequently throughout the day and steer clear of family members and friends who have coughs and colds. it could be that you are not having sufficient anti-biotics to clear the infections (ten days' worth is a better course for folk like us) but GPs vary in their approaches to such matters.

I always drop the meth and humira at the first sign of a sniffle and rarely go down with anything - touch wood. :wink: I hope you feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hello Valde,

I understand your concerns, I went through something similar when I was first on Methotrexate and had to stop taking it for a while. It's worth asking your rheumy about your frequent infections, when I changed to a new consultant he referred me for some extra blood tests to check on my immunology, and it transpires I lack the antibodies for one of the bacteria which causes many chest infections, but it was easily remedied by a single injection that most children get before starting school.....result..far less infections and I can now take meth again which is helping the RA.

As DD said, I always stop the meds as soon as I get a cold, and if I get a chest infection I need 2 weeks of antibiotics to sort it. I have to admit I'm a bit paranoid about avoiding friends and family if they're ill because I know that my immune system is rubbish!
    Hope you get some help soon.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    We take our immuno-suppresant meds because our immume systems3ms are overactive. The last thing our arthritis needs is a better impronesystem.

Prevention is better than cure. Use lots of hard hygiene, especially when you have touched things im common use eg supermarket trolleys, and even more so when in hospitals or doctor's surgeries. Be ruthless about telling peope not to visit you if they have a cold or virus.

Colds don't respond to antibiotics. If you need them you must have an infection. Colds can lead to chest infections. If you are prone to them eat lots of fruit and veg and, above all, don't smoke.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on Hydroxy and having the same problems as you. As you may know from some of my posts since December I've been suffering my extreme anaemia and feeling generally yuk. My anaemia is a lot better now but steel feeling yuk, drained and open to any type of germ. So not sure if it's the Hydoxy causing it or not? I'm also on Sulphasazine (sorry about spelling).
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your replies and suggestions. I will speak to my consultant when I see him on 27th. I know antibiotics are not for colds, these are for my chest infections, all times it starts with a sore throat then cold and finishes up on my chest. I cannot take sulphazide as it did not agree with me because of the extremely bad nausea so consultant stopped that a few months ago. Thank you all once again for your time, heres hoping I get a cough free night and you all have a peaceful night.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again, we're a couple of days on now - how are things going? DD
  • valde
    Options
    Hello DD
    I am feeling a lot better today I have just today and tomorrow to take antibiotics. Chest is a lot better and I am not coughing now so this has helped during the night and I am getting better sleep as this was keeping me awake and I felt rubbish during the day. I am hoping I will not need a second week of antibio as that will mean 2 weeks without my meth. I am due to see my Rheumy Consult on Monday so will have a chat with him. I really don't want to come off meth and hydroxy but don't know how I can keep getting so many colds as they pull me down. Thanks so much for taking the time to ask I really appreciate that. Hope you are all feeling ok today.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased you are feeling better, that is good news. You can avoid repeated infections using the tips we suggested and any DMARD is going to reduce the immune system; we have to be more vigilant as a consequence.

Arthritis changes our lives and the way we have to live them. DD