Pocket duties with a difference part two

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 22. Apr 2015, 14:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have spent a lot of time over the Easter break considering my work options and the draft revised job description I was given at the end of last term.
I have follow up meetings this coming Wednesday afternoon with my Union rep, and then after that with the Head and the business manager as well.
While it will be a wrench to give up the Inclusion post and what that involves, if I am honest it will reduce my stress levels if I only have the one area of Reading to focus on, plus it will mean I can make good use of my additional training in this area and I'm now able to view it as a new challenge. The main sticking point is the demotion and reduction in salary so my rep and I will look at how it can be upped to my current level, present this to the head and keep our fingers crossed he agrees!

Hopefully it will work in my favour that I am willing to meet him halfway and also that he will want to get the ad in as soon as possible.

As before all your support will be most welcome, understandably I am feeling anxious about it, but hoping it will get sorted sooner rather than later.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

Sounds like you've had time to start to get your head around the future, sadly this disease is an endless procession of compromise to make the most of what we can do, and it is often emotionally hard to let go of the stuff we can't. I really hope that you can find a place of compromise in your meetings on Wednesday; you have such a lot to give still, and the children will continue to benefit from your skill, experience and passion for the job. Some one rather wiser than me took me aside one day when I was struggling to keep teaching and said" it will be alright, a different kind of alright, but alright, and you are as talented and special as ever you were", so maybe you can hear that coming at you..... you're talented and special and the children still need you, and though it will be different it will be alright.
    Sending hugs and positive thoughts ahead of your meeting ((((((( )))))))).
    Deb xx
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you for that Deb, it does feel like something else Arthritis is robbing me of and in a way it means I will be loosing the last part of my old pre -arthur life, it doesn't help either that two years ago was my first visit to the GP with a neck that kept clicking. A lot has changed since then.
    Thank you as well for those words of encouragement.
    I just have to try and see this in a positive light, as much as I can. I just hope it gets sorted out in my favour on Wednesday.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I really admire the way you are dealing with this very difficult situation Slosh, turning around what at first seemed such a negative and seeing what positives there might be for you.
    As a school governor I was involved in a couple of cases where options had to be found for well respected colleagues whose medical issues were leading to difficulties for both the individual and the school/pupils and I know how hard it can be to find a solution that suits all - or is an acceptable compromise.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Seems like you have your sensible head on ,I sincerely hope you get the outcome you want,good luck will be with you. Mig
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    That sounds like positive thinking, Slosh - good for you. I do hope that the meeting on Wednesday goes well and you are able to sort out your salary to everyone's satisfaction.

Meg
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hope it goes well Wednesday and that the head agrees to your terms. I'll be in your pocket!
  • Slosh
    Options
    "Sensible head"? Not sure if I have one of those :lol:

I am feeling very anxious about tomorrow, just dreading him saying no. Both because I can't face the thought of struggling through another year full-time, and because if I do have to carry on full-time next year I am worried I will be forced out through early retirement which I don't want either.

I have a feeling whichever way it goes tomorrow there will be tears!
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Arthritis is not choosy about what it takes, or when. It demands much and gives very little in return but I think you make a valid point about reducing the stresses involved in your work. Your conditions won't like it but I am sure you will feel some benefit and that is what matters.

I hope that the salary issue can be resolved to your liking - I will be there tomorrow, cheering you on as best I can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Slosh, just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow. I know only too well what it's like to have to accept you cannot do your job in it's current format" any more and yes, it takes a lot of getting used to.

I sincerely hope that you get as positive an outcome as you can tomorrow.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Go get em Slosh. Hugs. Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Slosh,
    I've been thinking about you today, hope you got something positive from the meeting.

Deb x
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Sloshster,

Hope today went as well as these things can do.

Take it easy. x