Etanercept and menstrual cycle

Options
Adele5
Adele5 Member Posts: 7
edited 19. May 2015, 14:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
My 14 year daughter has jra and has been on embrel (etanercept) for 13 weeks. She has had her period for 3 weeks now. Has anyone else suffered this?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have not had this issue; I think you should contact your rheumatology department and let them know this is happening. I wish you and your daughter well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again, we're a week on since your post, how are things going? DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry i cant help,this must be such a worry for you..I do hope you have got some answers..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Adele5
    Options
    Thank you both so much DD and Barbara. I phoned the GP and asked who I should speak to and she felt it wasn't linked to the meds. She felt it was a blip in my daughters cycle and prescribed hotmail tablets which seem to be working so far.

This really is a great site. Thanks for all your support.
    Adele x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are more than welcome - this is what the forum is about. I am pleased that this has been resolved with (maybe?) hormone-based tablets :wink: but I still urge you to inform rheumatology due to the risk of anaemia.

I hope you and your girl have a pleasant Bank Holiday weekend. DD
  • Adele5
    Options
    Thanks DD. I'll let them know as I'll be contacting them tomorrow as she has struggled with feeling nauseous this week since taking her methotexate. Started on this 3 weeks ago. Adele x
  • Adele5
    Options
    Yes hormone not hotmail tablets!
  • Jaclyncollin
    Jaclyncollin Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, Hope situation is sorted out with your daughter. I read Enbrel can cause irregular menstruation. This could be worrisome especially if it causes a lot of blood loss due to long periods. Did you get a chance to ring a helpline and explain the situation? Hope you get some information on this soon.

Jaclyn.
  • Adele5
    Options
    Thanks Jaclyn
    Got some hormonal meds from the GP which stopped and I told the rheumy nurse. They tested her blood for anaemia but haven't got the results. She is better now so fingers crossed.
    Thanks again
    Adele