Surgery for ankle bone spurs -anyone had this done?

Options
TrishaW
TrishaW Member Posts: 109
edited 22. Apr 2015, 17:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just wondered if anyone had received surgery to remove bone spurs on their ankle bone (medial malleolus)? I've got some spurs causing pain in my right ankle (feels like I've sprained it but I presume the spurs are causing an impingement ) I'm currently just wearing strapping on the ankle but it is making walking difficult. I'm worried as I had a MJP fusion in my other foot last year and it hasn't fused yet, so i'm nervous about any further surgery. Also, has anyone had this problem and it's improved without surgery??? Thanks! Trisha

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I had an arthroscopic chilectomy in June 2011 to remove "significant bony osteophytes" (bone spurs in English) from the front outer edge of my ankle - as this was impeding my being able to move my knee over my foot. Don't think it's quite the same but thought I'd reply just in case.

I was walking on the ankle the same day, albeit with crutches. One thing that did startle me was, that although I'd been warned my ankle would be bruised, I never expected it to go black with bruising. Over the two weeks afterwards it went through the whole colour range that bruises travel through during their healing processes.

I had 2 weeks off work, and stitches were removed at 10 days post op. I was then in tubigrip support (which went all the way to my knee) until the post-op swelling diminished which was about 6 weeks or so, I think.

I was told at the time that the only way to deal with these bony osteophytes was to have them surgically removed. It was done on a day case, under a general.

I am now waiting for MRI on that ankle as I am struggling again. My consultant feels this is likely now to be the sub talar joint and cartilage issues. I am braced to be told I need this fusing but if I have a choice the deciding factor will be the weight-bearing timescale for me as I have a TKR on the other leg already.

I hope this has been some help. Please PM me if you'd like any more information and I'll do my best.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have spurs on both ankles but to date no-one has suggested surgery. I hold the view that surgery is designed to help matters and I hope this proves to be the case for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben