Update on today's meeting

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 23. Apr 2015, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well fingers crossed things are going in the right direction, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Met with my union rep, discussed my options and how the reading development job description could be made up to my current level. I also had a couple of suggestions about the playground issue, a perching stool for before and after school and a lunchtime duty in one of the offices, something that already happens in the infants. My rep mentioned the disability aspect but I again said I wasn't keen to play that unless absolutely necessary.

We went into the meeting, my rep spoke first and then I talked about what my views were and made suggestions about how to adjust it. I also said I wasn't happy about being demoted because of the message that would send to other staff.
Initially my Head wasn't too keen, and mentioned it woukd be setting a precedent about a single aspect role being at this grade.
My rep reminded him about "reasonable adjustments " and also the impact on my pension.
The head then said he would look again at the JD and the possibility of adjusting it. It was then agreed to have a further meeting, my rep then said he wanted to sort a date out and told me to go back to my office and he would feedback to me there.

He came in and gave me a thumbs up!

I am in the same union as my Head, so he spoke to him as if my Head had asked for his advice. He said I had been very fair, and said while I didn't want to do this therewas the issue of my disability. He said that I had a very strong case and was willing to compromise on my original request in terms of the job and that if I did end up taking the case to ACAS, it was more than likely that they would support me! He also reminded him about reasonable adjustments and that in up-scaling it he would need to kerp it manageable, because of my disability it woukd not set a precedent and one way would be to give me a role in staff appraisal as this is a Senior management role.

My head is going to draw up a revised job description, which he may be able to mail to me before we meet again next Tuesday morning, if not he will have it ready for me to look at then.

So, not quite there yet, but hopefully on the right track.

Thanks to you all for your support, I have a feeling I will sleep better tonight.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sounds like it went as well as it could. Am so pleased for you. I know only too well the stresses and worries that this sort of work meeting places upon individuals. You want to be able to do your job to the best of your abilities and be judged on your skills and what you can do, rather than discriminated against because of what you can't any longer - for no fault of your own - do any more.

Hope the next stage goes well. Please however, make sure you get everything in writing.

Bet you sleep better tonight!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    So pleased it went as well as possible, Slosh. I've been thinking about you. Hope the next meeting goes well too and the new job description is acceptable to you. Sleep well.

Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Excellent news Slosh, hang in there, I'm sitting here smiling because of your positive news. :D:D:D

Deb xx