Caught red handed.

Brutha
Brutha Member Posts: 51
edited 23. Apr 2015, 12:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I think the flare I had last week that prompted me to introduce myself and post here is passing. (I longer have knuckles that feel like they are being stabbed when they are touched! And I can move less like a robot in the morning.)

I still have red knuckles and first joint up my fingers, and am generally a bit sore. None of this bothers me. I know I am quite lucky it is low level and the real pain never lasted long. The thing that gets me is this tiredness. I don't think I have ever been knocked over by my arthritis before. I went to see a rheumatologist based on my bound shoulders and weak knees.

But the tiredness. My god it is mental. I have been just running empty, it turns out I never really knew what that meant. Now when I reachy limit that's it. I cannot do more. I thought having babies and a full time job taught me about tiredness and patience. No. It gave me a small glimpse.

The kids love it because they get pizza and junk more.

When I get the energy I am going to make up a whole freezer draw of lasagnas etc for next time.

Mark

I post here because you are nice and it helps me face reality!

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear Mark, sorry you're having a tough time. The fatigue is such a draining thing, and though we can't mend it we can learn to recognise how best to pace ourselves. Try googling "the spoon theory" which kind of explains it.

Don't worry if the kids eat junk sometimes, just make up for it in good stuff when you're feeling more on top of stuff, or maybe involve them in prepping healthier options if they're old enough. Some days just getting through from waking up to going back to bed is enough to focus on.

Keep posting, the folks on here really do understand the rubbish stuff we all live with, and rejoice in each others little victories and joys.

Deb x

Deb x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Fatigue is definitely one of the worst things about arthritis and one of the hardest things to explain to others. There's no harm in occasional "junk" food, but stocking up the freezer is a great idea. Hope the fatigue starts to lift for you soon.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah yes, the fatigue. Arthritic fatigue is in a league of its own, it's so unlike the pleasant tiredness one has after doing a hard physical job or doing something like going for a long walk in the country. Those sorts of tired are well-earned and justified, ours are neither.

'Do a little then rest a little,' is my mantra and it usually works. I think it took me around ten years to realise that this was the best way forward but I am fortunate in that now I am an agéd hag of 56 who has retired and only has a husband to nurture.

Ready-prepared food has a role to play but it is better to stock the freezer if one is having a better day (whatever that might be). You have a health issue, Brutha, and I for one think you are doing OK with dealing with it. You know where we are if you suddenly feel you're not. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben