Adversity or Opportunity?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 30. Apr 2015, 16:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Here in sunny California I find most people's dispositions seem to reflect the climate. They are warm, friendly, outgoing amd optimistic. Indeed, it's almost compulsory here.

But none more so than 15 yr old Seamus whose prizewinning essay 'Dear Cancer, It's Me' I've just read in the local paper.

I can't make the link work but, if you want a lesson in dealing with adversity, just google the essay title. Seamus will show you as he has shown me.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am not surprised that the majority of Californians are sunny-natured given their climate. Bill Bryson once remarked that living in GB was like spending nine months of the year in Tupperware i.e. grey and drippy.

The way that younger people rise to the challenge of disease never ceases to amaze me - look at our very own Lucy for example. I will research that article in a little while and I hope you are not finding the continued sun, hummingbirds and no doubt excellent fresh food not too distressing. :wink: DD

PS We are due single figure temperatures and maybe snow next week in some parts of the country - welcome back!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SW it does sound so nice out there... :D I will look for the link but like DD says children never cease to amaze me at how they handle things, especially such an awful disease like cancer..they don't get enough credit in my book.. :) you carry on enjoying the sunshine and your family x
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    My sister made a similar comment about Australians and their disposition. I'm sure sunny/warm weather must help, though I think I would miss the changing seasons.

Children are amazing in adversity.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh Tezz
    You are right.....I lived in Australia for 2 years and really missed the changing seasons. Christmas on the beach isnt all its cracked up to be.
    It gets dark about 7pm every night all year and it justs drops.....no dusk at all. They wouldnt believe me when I told them how light it was at night in the summer
    I know we moan about the weather but I'm happier here.

You were on MSN....I remember you then. I know we used to moan about it but now I think "come back MSN all is forgiven" :lol:

Thats my ramble for the morning, better go and get ready to face the day
    Love
    Hileena
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I find that it's the people who have the biggest reason to complain, usually complain the least. In my job as a social worker, I come across a lot of people who find every single reason to complain. Equally, I see people facing the biggest mountains who chuck on their walking boots and start climbing.