swimming

Options
catherine27
catherine27 Member Posts: 6
edited 24. Apr 2015, 09:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I've fairly recently been diagnosed with inflamatry arthritis and am on the second dose of nsaid. They are helping but I'm still in a fair bit of discomfort and struggling with the limitations especially with a toddler. I took my daughter swimming on wednesday and half way through the session i felt that my feet were getting more and more painful. Wasn't actually swimming but walking around the pool supporting my little one. That evening I was really bad and yesterday and today my feet aren't great and driving is a no go. Do you think it could be a coinsidence or can swimming make inflamtries arthritis worse? Thank you

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Catherine

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I have toddlers and inflammatory arthritis and I know how you feel - the two rarely mix well unless it is their nap time.

Swimming is generally considered a good form of exercise because your joints are supported by the water, however, walking around a pool keeping a wiggly toddler from drowning isn't swimming and is hard work. What may have occured with your feet is that you have moved them in a way you wouldn't normally do, this has stretched or strained things a little and the joints are now angry about it. I do a similar thing to my left shoulder when pushing a pram. Are you under the care of a rheumatologist? If so and if things don't settle down when you have had a few more NSAIDs (they tend to take a few days - weeks to build up in your system) then it may be worth giving them a call and asking for advice/ a review. If you aren't confident to do that then you can always ask your GP for advice.

I'd say rest as much as possible which is silly advice when toddlers are involved but at least crack open the crayons and get the story books out as much as possible!

Hope things improve soon
    LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Catherine
    Sorry I wont be much help, but must say the poolside are hard work being all bobby then you don't slip..but I am sure swimming will be beneficial on its own if you could get help with your toddler..I do hope your feet improve very soon..it must be such hard work with the little one to run about after,.
    Love
    Barbara