lightweight vacuum advice please?

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 30. Apr 2015, 11:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
Well can`t you tell it`s just been payday. The appliances start to rebel and break!! My trusted vacuum went kaput yesterday, so Mr NB has taken it apart and tried a new belt but that broke immediately. :roll: So we are looking for a new one which is bagless and lightweight. I am getting bored very quickly with review sites etc.. so I thought I would come and ask the people who really know about stuff for us arthurs.
My last one was a Vax one chosen for it`s lightweight feature but I am sure there are lighter ones since we bought this one after my first THR.
I hope that other appliances don`t follow suit, although in my house they usually come out in sympathy of each other!! :lol:
Thanks
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I recently bought the Bosch cordless. It's brilliant. I was hesitating between that and a GTECH but because I couldn't find anywhere to try the latter I opted for the one I could try. It's bagless with a small bin but that is no great trouble, I empty it every time I vacuum and it's easily washable. I can do the entire ground floor in around ten minutes, Bosch in one hand and a cuppa in the other. I bought the white one which comes with attachments but they turned out to be rather clumsy so prefer to use my cheap-as-chips Vax cylinder for furniture and lampshades, it's far easier. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lulubell69
    lulubell69 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    I have a dyson cordless, it's great. Lightweight, good swivel and best if all no plugging in and out. I have RA and it suits mr fine.
    Lesley
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I also have a dyson cordless to use as a 2nd vacuum. Be warned though you have to hold the button and it can be painful for thumb joints. Just thought I'd mention it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    thanks for the recommendations. I had been looking at the Gtech also DD, so it is good to have a review from someone who has the Bosch. I will drag Mr NB out tomorrow to look for one. Oh the joys!!
    NB
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    My boss's mum has a Gtech. It is lightweight and very easy to use. Goes right under beds. One problem with it is that the fluff is collected in a very small container in the bottom section. Easy to empty but doesn't hold much. Will need emptying after every two or three rooms.
    Christine
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    We bought a Dyson DC49 when our old Dyson cylinder vacuum was just too heavy for me to take up and down the stairs. It's really light and has powerful suction. We're very pleased with it.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Mine has three power levels which are accessed by sliding a switch on the handle and its charge is pretty long-lasting. I hope you find something to suit! DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry Im late seeing this NB but glad you started the thread my hoover is to heavy for me,so I have been looking at the cordless stick like ones have been looking at the Bosch that DD has..think my mind is made up because we have had a lot of trouble with dyson hoovers..good luck..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    HI
    Barbara-glad to be of help :lol: I hope you find the Bosch one easier to use. We decided on the Gtech and am enjoying playing with it like my new toy!! Oh how times change-when a new vacuum makes me happy :shock:
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    HI
    Barbara-glad to be of help :lol: I hope you find the Bosch one easier to use. We decided on the Gtech and am enjoying playing with it like my new toy!! Oh how times change-when a new vacuum makes me happy :shock:
    NB
    Bless you are right..but anything to make life easier...let me know what you think about it..and enjoy.. :) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • wilv
    wilv Member Posts: 6
    Options
    hi all
    I have RA and was looking to 'invest' in vac cleaner. I had a flare up at the time and couldn't cope with cordless/upright vacuum so needed a pull-along one . Weight is on the floor and no fiddly buttons. We bought a very cheap one from argos at £23.99. It is bright yellow but we still use it! We have 2 hairy dogs and also moved house with all the cleaning that goes with it. I've always been a bit of a vac snob butthis has converted me and when it goes wrong eventually I wont need a bank loan to repair/replace it!!!
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    We have a lightweight VAX which I use instead of the Dyson. It is a traditional upright plug in model and very efficient. Ours is a discontinued model but I believe they still make lightweight but full power vacuums. The extension hose on our model is fiddly though and I don't like it at all. For general vacuuming up though it is excellent.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I have been pleased with my Gtech, bought in John Lewis altho they no longer sell them. It is a good 2nd vacuum, mine has NO TOOLS, so no good for stairs, also, it doesn't go right up to the edge, misses around a centimetre. A kind person goes round the edges occasionally with the Sebo.

Something Gtech cannot cope with is a new carpet and that constant fluff they produce in the early days. Ours just moves it around and deposits it like big caterpillars even when the collecting bit is empty. It's pickup otherwise is great and it leaves wonderful tram lines
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I love the lack of cable. The continuous bending, unplugging and re-plugging was harder than the vacuuming itself but I am pleased that I have kept the other for the more fiddly things.

I know exactly what you mean about the excitement, NB, even now I think 'I'll run it round the kitchen ' then a few moments later the ground floor (seven separate areas) is done because it's so easy! And (more worryingly) it's still fun. :shock: DD