25 percent success

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 28. Apr 2015, 16:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
In March 2014, I hit my highest weight ever and hated the way I looked. I was very worried about the impact my weight was having on my joints. I decided to tackle my weight in a healthy way. Here I am, 13 months later and 2lbs away from hitting the 4 stone mark. My weight loss has been slow but steady. Today, I worked out that I've lost over 25% of my body weight. :shock: Unfortunately, there's been no improvement with my RA nor my pain levels but I am feeling less sluggish as a result of my improved diet. I can also wear nice clothes and I'm beginning to feel more comfortable in my skin, which is a bonus.

Just wanted to share my success with you.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wow, well done! Keep it up.

Deb xx
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you. I'm hoping to lose another 1.5 to 2 stone but I'll see what happens as I get closer.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    That's brilliant news. Well done and enjoy the clothes shopping!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Well done and enjoy the clothes shopping
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Congratulations on almost being near your goal! Losing weight is never easy, especially when feeling rubbish all the time. I challenge you to carry 4 stone and walk around to see how it impacts your joints, that will give you a big surprise I'm sure. Or even more so just feeling how heavy 4 stone actually is can be a real eye opener on what you have achieved and no longer need to carry around with you each day.

I myself ideally need to lose around 5 stone! I have been losing weight and gaining weight like a roller-coaster over the past 6 months which I put down to pred, constant flare ups and a poor diet. I plan to hopefully change my diet once I begin cimzia and come off the pred which SHOULD result in weight loss. Hopefully I will then be considered fit enough for spinal fusion, I don't have a weight goal for being considered fit for the operation. I was just advised to try and lose some weight and come off the pred then we will talk in more detail type of chat.

I wish you well on your future weight loss, let me know if you manage to find something that's 4 stone and how it feels carrying it around. Will be an interesting thing to hear
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Congrats that's great. Mig
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Well done Starburst. :D You are indeed a star. You made up your mind to do something positive and you are well on the way to achieving it. Power to you. Do let us know how you go on.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    That's fantastic, Starburst. Well done you - a real achievement.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done Sophie :D as usual you blaze a quiet trail by just getting on with things. I too have lost weight and have had no benefit pain-wise whatsoever (another crock of doo-doo sold by those who should know better) but I do find moving easier, when the joints allow it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sophie that is brilliant you must be so proud of yourself, it might not help the RA, but it might just stop any OA appearing..you keep up the good work..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm trying to be extra good over the next few days as I'm off on holiday on Friday, so will be breaking out the swimming cossie.

As5567 I'm not surprised your weight has been a bit wacky, you've been so unwell lately. I wasn't as ill as you but when I was feeling rubbish, it would have been impossible to lose weight. In order to gain energy by losing weight, I actually had to have a bit of physical energy myself. Fingers crossed that the medication can be sorted and you can get off the pred. It can make you retain water, so you might find some of the weight falls off quickly. You'll get there but you need to focus on stabilising your physical health.

DreamDaisy Well done to you too! I really hoped it would ease the pain but no such luck. Either way, being overweight is unhealthy, so it's not all bad, eh?
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Well done. As someone who struggles with their weight (and currently is feeling too low in motivation to even attempt to do anything) I have the greatest of admiration for those who are able to lose weight.

Enjoy that retail therapy. Hope you are going with a girlfriend. You generally tend to get much better sense from a woman re what suits you. However, if Gok Wan is available I suspect he'll be crushed in the stampede if not bashed to death by the sticks, crutches and rollators we use on here! :lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!