Hi

Options
Pedz
Pedz Member Posts: 41
edited 27. Apr 2015, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my name is Pete I have just been diagnosed with RA IN 70% of my joints so this is all new and to be honest a bit terrifying I start the MTX on Monday and don't really know what to expect still shell shocked I guess
before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pedz,

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod Yx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Pedz, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. :( This is not a good thing to happen to you, all of us on here know that. I see that Mod Y has replied but I thought I would too so at least you know you have been 'spotted' - not many forum members look in on this part of the forum. I won't hang around now because I am very tired but I will come back tomorrow. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pedz
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for the reply
    This happened so fast i can't believe it started with slight discomfort in my left foot and ankle that became steadily worse then spread to the other foot and ankle then my knees and the literly woke up one morning with stiffness and swelling in my right hand all in the apace of a month or so so got myself off to doctors who sent me for bloods, so becuse a "Rheumatoid factor was present or high or something i was referred to rheumatologist and diagnosed that day given a steroid shot in bottom of my back and sent on my way with my head spinning. Oh steriod shot is amazing what a difference.
    So now my working life looks doubtful as i work offshore (oil rigs) very physical and lots of stairs however that is not such a problem the MTX is i am at work now but being sent home tomorrow on early flight as they dont want me to take my MTX while im am here got to see company quak monday to see if i will be allowed ro work offshore ever again the whole situation is so stressful i have worked offshore for 26 years and is all i know now on top of everything else i might lose the lifestyle i love cant help but feel a little sad
    before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello again Pedz,

I'm moving this thread to our Living with Arthritis forum. You don't need to do anything, it just means more people will see your posts.

It's also a good place for you to have a read, you can find out how others get on with Mtx - the main Arthritis Care site has lots of leaflets, easy to read and very helpful, the forum has a search button - you will see a big pink bar just above the forum titles, to the right of that is a search window, type Mtx in there to see posts on this subject.

Lastly there is a helpline - look top right of this page for the number- they are really good :D

You are here, the best place for you
    Take care
    Mod Yx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, Pedz, I have read your second post and no wonder it's hit you hard: RA can be very aggressive and it sounds as though yours is. The good news is that the meds should bring it under some form of control but that may take a little time to happen. I am pleased that the steroid has helped, I didn't get anything from the jabs but took the tablets for a while. Steroids do a good job of masking the symptoms and thus making us feel 'better' but they do not tackle the underlying problem. They also bring their own complications if they are over-used.

We used to have a Norwegian lass on here, I think she was in her early 20s, who also worked the rigs and loved them. She had a different auto-immune arthritis to yours and was struggling very badly. She decided to leave the rigs and train herself for some other employment but we haven't heard from her in a long time.

Now, basics and practicalities. The meth will suppress your immune system in order to reduce the arthritis activity so it is important to be very conscientious about hand hygiene. We can pick up a bug or infection and now know about it until it has got its feet well-under our tables, so to speak. This is because we do not produce symptoms as quickly as those with normal immune systems. You must also let your GP know that you will be starting this medication because it makes you eligible for a free 'flu jab. It is best to avoid people who are ill and encourage good hand hygiene in other family members.

I take injected meth and some other drugs to combat my psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and I am fortunate in that I have very little trouble with any of them. Side effects are not guaranteed but may occur: these are strong drugs and the body might need some time to adjust to them. You may read that meth is also used to treat cancer - it is but we take it at miniscule doses compared to those facing that.

I cannot help you on the work front - I have just begun my nineteenth year of living with this nonsense and stopped work some years ago. Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Pete and welcome to the forum
    Sorry I wont be much help I dont have RA , but I see that DD has given you some advice and I just want to wish you well on the MTX...there are many that have had lots of relief on it..please let us know how you get on, talking about it to us lots will help..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Pedz
    Options
    Hey thanks for the encouraging words i am gutted about the alcohol aspect the booklet says 3-4 units a day basically a glas of wine or 2 bottles of beer. Can i save these units up lol also infection control is a big thing as my girlfriend whome i live with works in a care home and always some nasy bug floating around in there, sensitivity to sunlight? I am already fair skinned and blonde any hints on SPF factors so i can go out in the sun without burning but still allow a little colour? That said after steriod shot maybe im being paranoid but my skin has adapted an slight darknend tone there is no doubt about that peeps here at work are asking if i have been on holiday lol
    That said my girlfriend of 4 years is a star and so supportive.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Pedz,

Sorry you've had to find us, but welcome aboard. Try not to be too freaked out by it all, I know it's overwhelming to get your head round, but lots of us have learned to adjust to the disease and the way it affects our lives. There are many effective drugs that can keep your disease under control, and yes they're powerful, but you'll be really well monitored with regular blood checks etc. It's grand to have a supportive partner, my hubbie is my rock, wouldn't cope without him, but it's a big thing in their lives too, so she may want to do some reading around the subject to try and understand what you're coping with, there are some downloadable leaflets on this site with excellent information, and leaflets you can give your employers too.

As far as sun exposure goes, I managed a recent trip to a very sunny New Zealand using SPF 50, no burning and a nice golden glow to come home, but do be vigilant with it or you'll be likely to get a nasty itchy rash for your troubles! :oops: The infection things a pain, if you can both be really careful about hand washing and wiping down surfaces with antibacterial wipes it helps.

Keep asking questions, information is the key to getting your head around stuff. I hope your docs appointment goes well.

Deb
  • Pedz
    Options
    Hey thanks for all that I know I have to make big changes also I have to help myself the docs told me what I do now to help myself as in looking after myself and strengthening muscles etc will pay off in years to come the only real problem I found apart from constant aches and pains was when I had a 6 hr drive to work my right foot and ankle where unbearably stiff and painful by the time I reached my destination, I have the same drive back again tomorrow lol
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Pedz & welcome, though I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis. Some of the others have given you advice & tips, all of which I endorse. I'm sorry about your job - it's hard to think about giving up a job you love. One of our neighbours used to work on the rigs, off Aberdeen.

It's good you have a supportive girl-friend - I would struggle without my husband's support.

I wasn't troubled by the sun while on MTX, but just make sure you slap on the high factor cream.

Do keep posting & let us know how you're doing.