What are the odds ?

Options
Barbieg
Barbieg Member Posts: 40
edited 2. May 2015, 05:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have had fibromyalgia for over 30yrs, Rheumatoid arthritis for 10yrs and my lovely hubby has just been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis too. He started with symptoms in February and got to see a consultant fairly fast but in a different hospital to me as there was a long waiting list for my hospital. He had loads of blood tests, X-Rays taken and we went back for the results on Wednesday, only to be told that just one test was ok, the rest were contaminated!!! We couldn't believe it. The one test did show that he has RA, but not which type. In the mean time he was given a steroid injection in his bum to try and calm things until the retested blood results come back. Am I right in thinking the steroid could last 12 weeks? We are trying to transfer to my hospital, but this will take 12 weeks at least and I'm worried the injection won't last that long. It certainly hasn't stopped the pain, just eased it a bit. It's certainly going to be fun in our house in the future.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know the percentage figures for RA in the UK population but it certainly seems
    unfortunate that both you amd your husband should both have it.

Blood tests can be contaminated by germs on the patient's skin. I t's unfortunate It happened to me recently.

I didn't know :? there was more than one form of RA. I have the bogstandard kind. Which others are there?

Steroid jabs are unpredictable things. I wouldn't like to predict how long anyone's would last. I wouldn't even like to predict how long one would last for me personally. It varies according to all sorts of things. I hope your husband's works well for him.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Barbieg
    Options
    According to the consultant there are many types . She said if it was gout or pseudo gout the injection would zap it, well it hasn't so it seems it's not one of those. I think she meant types like PsA, sjergons ( sorry, I can't spell it) and others. She definitely said there was many.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, this is tough, yes? At least you will have a better understanding of what he is facing and so can support him in an informed way. I have had the odd contaminated blood tests in the past, yes it's a nuisance but there can be many a slip 'twixt cup and lip. I thought that RA was RA but there are hundreds of varieties of auto-immune arthritis - is that what you meant? I hope the steroid helps, I've never had much joy from them but they can work well for some and I hope he is included in that number. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Barbieg
    Options
    Yes, sorry , I meant auto-immune disease. She said the one test that was ok showed he had inflammatory arthritis so I thought she was meaning RA. As you can see even though I've had it a few years I still have a lot to learn. She did say her preferred choice of medication is Meth, which is a bit of a worry to me as he also has COPD. I have been lucky as I was put on sulphasalazine and an anti-inflammatory which are still working for me. He is still in quite a bit of pain, so I don't think the injection has worked 100%.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, it certainly seems an unlucky set of circumstances that you both have RA - no idea what the odds on that might be!

MTX seems to always be the first drug one is given, though in my case I was started on sulphasalazine. I've had mixed results from steroid injections - some seem to work better than others.

Do keep posting and let us know how things go.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    In my experience neither injected or tablet steroids reduced the pain, it reduced the swelling but I guess by then the joint damage was done. Sulph has done very little for me on the arthritis front but it does help to keep my skin relatively clear of psoriasis (I have psoriatic arthritis). I also have asthma but have coped so far with the injected meth and anti TNF.

Any form of auto-immune arthritis is complicated when it comes to which kinds and what the meds are supposed to do and this is one of the biggest troubles with this disease: we're differently affected and react individually to the meds. It can take some time to discover which one (or combinations) work the best. I know that my latest unholy trio is working because my bloods are lovely but I cannot feel any benefit, mostly thanks to my OA.

Of the two I prefer the OA because it is far more straightforward and 'honest' in what it does. It's the PsA which is having a good old snap at me at the moment, UGH. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Barbieg
    This is rotten luck for both of you, I do hope the injection calms everything down and more to the point last till he can see someone at your hospital.. I really do wish you both well...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Barbieg
    Options
    Thank you all very much . I never ever thought my husband would suffer like me as we are both in our seventies now, and he has had both knees replaced and a hip from OA. Having been an avid follower of this forum for some time, I realise some of you have both. I'm so sad for him, but hopefully when he gets the blood results and gets an appointment with the consultant he will be started on the treatment. I just hope he doesn't have to wait 3 months. Thanks again.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I believe that around 1% of people (adults, most likely, I assume) have RA, so pretty low odds. I'm sorry your husband is having a tough time. I hope he gets some answers soon.
  • Barbieg
    Options
    Very pleased to say he has been sent an appointment for next Wednesday morning. Took us both by surprise as we were not expecting one for at least a couple of months. It says it's for the early inflammatory arthritis rheumatology clinic. Totally different to my Essex rheumatology clinic. We are presuming the hospital has the re done blood tests that our surgery did, but just in case I am chasing them up to get a copy so that we can have them with us next Wednesday. My husband is the type that will gladly bury his head in the sand, so am very apprehensive. I have to remind him to take all his medications already ( sprays and pills ) for his COPD , and he's been called back for his fasting blood test so it seems he has more to come. Wish me luck!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Of course I wish both of you luck, barbieg. This is a trying time, isn't it?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright