worried about liver test results

Options
Chazmoore
Chazmoore Member Posts: 12
edited 28. Apr 2015, 03:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone I received a letter from my doctor this morning regarding an abnormal "LFT" result. I've had arthritis for nearly nine years & I'm 33. This is the first time I've had this abnormal result. I have to ring the doctor first thing in the morning. Was just wanting to know if anyone else has had these results or am I worrying over nothing. Thanks x

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,

This has happened to me on more than one occasion, and was usually caused by the meds I was taking. I had to stop taking them until the LFT returned to normal, then restart. The only med I had to stop taking altogether was Leflunomide, due to abnormally high liver results.

It's good that your doctor is 'on the ball,'- mine always phones if there's a problem.

Hope you can get some reassurance when you see your doctor.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Your doctor has picked up on this through a routine blood test, which is good. You shouldn't worry too much as the liver can take a lot before things go bad or even give us any symptoms. If you have been having regular blood tests which it sounds like you have then it will likely be a quick chat about the results and possibly some alterations to your medication and a follow-up blood test in a week or so.

I would say it's fairly common and that most of us on here will probably have raised liver results at some point in our lives due to medications. The most important thing is to keep on top of regular blood tests so if any problems do occur they are often sorted way before any damage can be done
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The LFT test is an important one because it shows how well the liver is functioning. My hospital is happy if its below 50 and I have been recalled by the GPs occasionally because they are not so happy with it at lower levels. Usually all has been well but if this is the first time for you it is bound to be unsettling. I remind myself that they don't necessarily understand my treatment for PsA and are looking at it from a different standpoint.

The whole point of the monitoring is to flag up any potential troubles so have the test re-done and let us know how it goes. Back in 2006 I had cause to be very thankful for my fortnightly bloods - I felt fine but something was amiss and had to be sorted. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben