Rheumy visit tomorrow

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 1. May 2015, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
My rheumy is lovely - listens, suggests, advises, so an appointment is not to be feared. Tomorrow I will present her with my latest set of blood results - pretty rubbish: CRP climbing ever higher, nastily swollen fingers/hands; and increasing stiffness. Plus the joint pain of course - must not forget that.

Safe to say she will almost certainly decide that after almost eight relatively decent years it is time for humira & I to part company. Who knows what's next? Humira was my first anti-TNF, and it was doing a great job. I feel a little daunted about regressing to the pre-humira days.

Positive vibes gratefully accepted, thanks.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Positive vibes ready and waiting. (((()))) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    From what I have read on here I suspect that all these meds have their useful period then begin to fade: my hope is that an alternative will be presented to you and that it works just as well.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Will be thinking about you tomorrow...its good to know you have such a lovely rheumy...
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tezz
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.....Let us know what happens please

Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you get a positive resolution.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry I missed this. How was your appointment? I hope you got some positive news and a plan.

x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Me, too, despite being a bit jet-lagged right now. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Thanks all, the appointment went as well as could reasonably be expected.

Having checked my last X-rays my rheumy says my back pain is due to wear & tear - so OA, not RA. It seems I can now call myself a member of the exclusive club whose luck it is to have both, but hey, two for the price of one!

She checked every joint yesterday, then my range of movement, asked a lot of questions, answered my questions ( jotted down on a piece of paper in my pocket, ) then sat down to look at my blood results. It would seem Rituximab is an option, but it can`t be taken without MTX, which put me in hospital with respiratory problems when humira was added. A process of elimination deemed the MTX responsible, rather than the humira. I need to think about trying a small dose of MTX at some point, as without it, some avenues of treatment are closed to me, though she has been happy for me to `fly solo` for the past few years on humira - her view being `if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.`

She had a fresh set of bloods taken, then sent me for X-rays on my hands, feet and hips, which she will look at carefully - her words - and review me in three months. She said she will call me in sooner if she`s not happy with the X -rays or the bloods. Also I can ring her secretary if I`m struggling. I finished up with a big juicy steroid injection - the perfect ending to my day. I`m to stay on humira & hydroxywhatsit at least for now, so I feel that was a thorough appointment, and lots of food for thought.

Thank you all for thinking of me - you are all lovely people.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Welcome to the Doubles Club, Tezz. It's not a particularly exclusive club, unfortunately, but at least, when we get a disease, we do the job properly.

So, I'm guessing the x-rays are to determine if the increased pain is RA or OA related. If the latter then there's no point in undergoing any new traumas with anti-tnfs and meth. It'll just be dullers, physio and GABI (Grin and bear it.) Borrux! On the other hand, if the bloods indicate activity (What an inappropriate term!) I guess something has to be added or changed. I understand your anxiety about the meth if you had a bad experience with it before. These auto-immune arthritises are not for the faint-hearted, are they?

I have no great words of wisdom but I gladly send more ((()))s and hopes.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright