MTX mornings

Options
Pedz
Pedz Member Posts: 41
edited 1. May 2015, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys and girls
Day 4 of methotrexate is it normal to wake up feeling like you have gone 10 rounds with mike tyson and lost everyone then drank 12 pints and slept on the floor using a doorstep as apillow? Im goosed lol
before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Umm, that's not the norm for me but if I recall correctly you are taking the tablets and these are the early days, yes? What dose are you on and when in the day do you take them? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh bless...that sounds awful ,I cant advice has I don't have the same meds, but I would certainly check it out with your GP or rheumy...let us know how you get on
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Sounds more or less exactly how I describe after my first dose of my new Biologic. I guess it is normal yes and eventually things should improve once your body gets used to it.

My thinking is that if its making me feel tired and run down then it's clearly doing its job which is to block/destroy what ever in the immune system, which in return can make us feel bad until we're used to it.
  • Pedz
    Options
    Hi again I'm on 15mg and I took first dose on Monday afternoon Tuesday morning was ok Wednesday a bit rough but this morning was horrendous
    It's more muscular aches all of my upper body is aching like crazy but that said its has eased off during the day I am very active and always doing something that's my strategy I guess even if I didn't know it but keep busy less time to worry what the future might hold
    before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    You have a way with words, Pedz. :lol: I don't know if it's normal, as such, but it's certainly how I felt. Add in some nausea and I was a miserable moo for a few days butttttt it quickly passed. I've been on MTX for nearly 4 years and have practically no side effects. Are you on prednisolone too, by any chance? Anecdotal evidence but I've heard that people who start MTX and are already on pred. tend to have a slightly rougher start.

How are you feeling this evening?
  • Pedz
    Options
    The only other med is folic acid and right now I'm fine enjoying my 1.5 units of alcohol allowance lol my how things have changed fortunately I enjoy alcohol free larger so not so fussed small glass or red or one small bottle of beer with my feet up is fine by me.
    Try not to worry about how this might progress but sometimes this is difficult. Upto now nothing has fell out or dropped off so that's a good thing lol just felt rotten this morning and have had headache for 3 days but that's nothing I had one for 18 years once then I got divorced :D so this is le petite pomme de terre's by comparison
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I suspect that this is your body adjusting to the new regimen and, as Starburst said, it will hopefully settle down sooner rather than later; that is quite a hefty starting dose too. Methotrexate is a toxic medication and it can have quite an effect, I had to stop the tablets because I developed what is termed 'meth rash' on my forearms - just in time for a beer festival. :wink:

When I began sulphasalazine I bruised dreadfully but only from the waist down, which looked rather odd. Thirteen years in I still bruise easily. With the injected meth I do, occasionally, get very tired the day after the injection but that is manageable. DD

PS I liked the petite pommes de terre analogy!
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pedz
    Options
    So far no rash or any other tangible manifestations hopefully this last as I'm very concerned about my appearance my choice of footware are either Vans or converse both totally unsuitable but will persevere with them for as long as possible this morning sprung out of bed feeling great aches and pains seem to have subsided so all good, looking forward to start the gym for strength training just finding a suitable instructor or work out plan is a problem but will get there,
    Mūnich Oktoberfest was on my list of things to do before I die........ Not going write it off just yet

So here goes let's see how today goes on a bit chilly here in the north east but the sun is shining and my girlfriend and I are going out for the day

:D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Pedz
    You are right to keep busy ,the more we worry about something ..you know the rest...I do hope any side effects diminish very soon ..good luck with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Pedz,

I think what you describe is as others have said - the MTX beginning its work. Hopefully the side-effects will lessen as your system gets accustomed to it.

Enjoy your day out.

PS I`m in the NE too!