Functional Restoration Programme

Options
Fionabee
Fionabee Member Posts: 146
edited 1. May 2015, 09:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone have experience of a Functional Restoration Programme?
How was it for you, did you benefit from it?
Had an appt. last week with a musculoskeletal consultant at ROH Birmingham regarding pain from my scoliosis. He talked about evidence that exercise does very little for chronic back pain and problems associated with dependence on pain killers. He has referred me to the multi discipline team that run this programme (he is one of the team) and I'm now waiting for an appointment. I haven't found as much on line as I thought I might, some good stuff from Oswestry.
Sounds like a very holistic approach, psychological/emotional/taking ownership of pain element has me a wee bit concerned, but I am keen to embrase it and see what it has to offer.
If you've never heard of it but are interested here's a link:
http://www.spinal-healthcare.com/article.php?article_id=43

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Fiona
    I'm another that haven't heard of this,so thanks for the link, and I will be very interested to see how you get..so please update us when you have finished the program...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    That sounds interesting, I like the sound of it. I understand your ambivalence about the 'taking ownership of your pain' part. However, if they handle it well, I think it would be very beneficial. I've always believed that, no matter the illness, building on emotional strength can never be negative.

Do let us know how you get on.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'd never heard of it but it does sound interesting, especially as it claims to involve “pain management consultants, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, as well as psychologists and fitness consultants.” Please keep us updated, Fiona.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry, I`ve never heard of it either, but wouldn`t mind knowing more about it if you can keep us posted.
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi there.
    Will post again when it gets underway.
    Fiona.