Cervical Disc Degeneration and allsorts!

Options
Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
edited 6. May 2015, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all, been a while since I posted but have been having allsorts going on. My last posts mentioned my neck - well, although it is slowly improving under new meds I have been for an MRI. So, the result of which is Cervical Disk Degeneration with narrowing of the Spinal Canal ...?
Being sent to the fracture clinic on Tuesday ? Not sure what it means so if any of you lovely folk know, I'd welcome info (at same time have an unexplained stress fracture in right ankle which is being looked at!!)
All down hill since I turned 50..
Sonia

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Just a thought, but if you have an unexplained stress fracture I wonder if they might be considering osteoporosis, in which case it would make sense for them to look at the vertebrae as well.
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Maybe ... my GP arranged my ankle xray because I was experiencing prolonged pain and swelling in the joint - he was as surprised to discover the stress fracture as me because we honestly thought it was my osteoarthritis. Although I have been wearing an ankle support, he felt that a boot support would help hence the fracture clinic appointment. I don't know if the CDD can occur with Osteoporosis .... but see the possible connection. Appreciate your thoughts ...
    Thanks Sonia
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi Sonia. I had a similar neck thing going on ages ago in 1999. It was before my arthritis (spondyloarthropathy) had been diagnosed and I'd just had odd, seemingly unrelated symptoms. However in 1999 I was onholiday with my family in Spain and doing lots of breast stroke (with my neck extended). After a week my fingers went numb, then my arms loss sensitivity and gradually the upper part of my body was numb and my legs weak and 'trembly'. i was really frightened-I'm a nurse and thought i had MS. I was admitted to hospital in Spain where a lumber puncture was found to be ok and an MRI showed i had arthritis in my cervical vertibrae and narrowing of the cervical canal due to osteocytes. The swimming had meant my spinal cord was being pinched by these bone spurs, hense my symptoms. The good news was with rest (and taking care of my neck )it's never happened again.
    Basically what happens is there is the canal that your spinal cord paces through, like a long channel inside your spine (vertebrae). If the vertebrae have arthritis the canal may not be smooth and may narrow, so there's less space for your spinal cord and it's nipped slightly. this can cause a bit of numbness or tingling, depending on which level in your neck it happens.
    I would say don't panic, see what the consultant says. You may well just have to look after your neck. for me the key things are...1) Don't look up eg at ceilings for more than a glance 2) try and keep your head and neck in good aligmnment (try The Alexandra Technique) so eg if I go to the cinema I sit well back, in the center so i don't have to look up or turn my head 3) I sleep on a memory foam pillow that's really comfy and take it everywhere with me! 4) If my neck aches i find warmth helps 5) Dont carry heavy bags esp shoulder bags. If I do all this right I'm fine!!! good luck :)
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding ... wow, some of your story rings so true with me. I have had neck problems on and off for years and suffer with headaches at the back of my neck. Back in March, I had stripped a bed at work and carried all the sheets and blankets down the stairs (I am a housekeeper / butler at a private estate ... think Downton Abbey and you won't be far wrong!) - that evening, I got pins and needles in my neck and it worsened overnight. The next morning I couldn't move my neck and had the most horrible headache. I saw my GP the day after and he gave me diazepam and signed me off work. The pain progressed into my left arm and then it went numb which was scary. After two weeks, things started to settle. I am on Naproxen and now gabapentin - I already have osteoarthritis in my hands and have just been diagnosed with a stress fracture in my right ankle. I am back at work, but trying to do light duties only. The dizziness happens as well, I cannot comfortably look up and get dizzy if I do so for a while....now I know why. I am worried for my appointment on Tuesday - but now that I have a better understanding my mind is a little more at ease. X
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have cervical spondylosis in my neck and last year had surgery to remove two prolapsed discs, and fuse the linked vertebrae. You have been given some good advice already so not much to add there, apart from the fact that physiotherapy can help to keep the muscles strong and prevent the neck from stiffening up. I still have to do mine daily or I notice the difference. Treatment is normally in terms of pain relief and physio and avoiding carrying heavy things etc.
    Good luck and hope it settles down and that there is nothing too serious going on with your ankle.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    Thank you for commenting... do you mind me asking, do you work? One of my main worries is work - my job is very unique and I do love it, but it is also pretty demanding and physical. I am sole housekeeper at a private estate and therefore look after a large country home which involves a lot of work. I have three flights of stairs, 12 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms and 5 reception rooms to maintain. I also work irregular hours and over the winter months, I organise and cook for shooting parties. Last year I work solidly from 7am - 11pm for three days in a row. I know myself, that as I am now, I will struggle to do that this year!
    I don't know what to do at the moment .... I guess I will know more once I have been to the fracture clinic on Tuesday.
    Sonia x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I do work, before I go into detail about that as a result of my CS I have severe neuropathic pain in both shoulders and arms which has got worse and now goes down into my wrists and hands. I also have some muscle weakness in my left shoulder/arm/ hand, and due to another problem which has caused severe muscle weakness in my left leg I now need crutches to walk. When I was first diagnosed I was advised to avoid heavy housework such as vacuuming etc, I have just bought a lightweight cordless vacuum but while I can manage to use it for short periods before resting bed changing is still outof the question. I also have OA in my lower back so my best buy recently has been a mini-oven which lives on my work top.

I can no longer take Naproxen so am on Duloxetine for nerve pain, and Meptazinol and paracetamol for other pain.

My understanding is that treatment wise there is an option of an injection into the neck but I was told I needed surgery due to the severity of my symptoms, but unfortunately it aims to stop things getting worse rather than improve them.

I currently work full-time in a large primary school as an Assistant head/inclusion manager, but I am really struggling with this, despite having adjustments in place, not just with pain but with severe fatigue and so from September I will be working three days a week.

Your work situation is very different to mine, I benefitted from access to and advice from my LA Occupational health service, but it might be worth you contacting your local job centre plus service and asking for referral to Access to work as they offer work place assessments and advice on reasonable adjustments and equipment.

I also found things like an electric carving knife, jar and tin openers very useful in the kitchen.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Sonia50
    Options
    I am sorry to learn of your situation Slosh ... its a very frustrating illness isn't it - I hope your reduced hours give you some benefit. I get very tired as well, its like hitting a brickwall ... I wake up tired! Yesterday I was busy, nothing extra - just cooking and ironing but I suddenly hit a wave of tiredness - just ached everywhere....
    I have been to the OT before and she gave me some equipment for home and a chair for work. My boss has been very understanding , but has drawn the line as far as having any 'aids' in the house. I am allowed my chair but it stays out of sight in the 'housekeepers kitchen' . He is a very traditional man - Eton educated and from a long ling of Peers ... I tried to put a duvet on his bed which was not acceptable at all! - linen sheets and blankets or nothing!! (and all the bedrooms are the same), as I commented before, think Downton Abbey!! I do love my work, its a special place - but there is no way I could have 'obvious' aids there.
    Off to the fracture clinic today so I am hoping to get some answers.
    Take care
    Sonia
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sonia
    I have just been reading your thread, the only thing I can add is keeping the neck moving then it doesn't stiffen up,a physio would be able to help
    How interesting to be an house keeper in such a big house..but your boss not allowing aids will be hard..I hope he can be talked round or is it really like Downton..you know your place.. :) I do wish you well with everything and hope you can carry on in your unique job..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    The fatigue is a nightmare, especially when it coincides with a bad night due to pain! Had to come home early today as I was struggling all day. Found myself blaming myself for doing too much over the weekend and had to remind myself that what I saw as a busy weekend would have been a very quiet one for most people!

Could you at least have some aids in the kitchen? As well as the things I suggested the other day what about a perching stool?

I must say your employers attitude sounds very old school, very Downton...do you have to wear a black dress?

Hope the fracture clinic went well
    Julian of Norwich
  • Sonia50
    Options
    Hi again .. so, results of MRI are ..
    Loss of lordosis, C1 -3 mild to moderate narrowing of forminal, C4 moderate narrowing of forminal, C5 - C6 severe narrowing. Disc osteophytes present impinging on anterior of spinal cord throughout.
    There we go, so I am being referred to Sheffield spinal unit to discuss plan ... GP thinks it might be physio and medication monitoring for six-months and then possible surgery.
    Restricted to being sensible - no heavy work, lifting or straining.
    Got to increase gabapentin dose and take my naproxen regularly. OK to continue in work as long as careful and mindful of limitations. All good fun.
    Sonia x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I don't understand all the medical jargon but I do understand that you will have more pain relief and things are being carefully monitored which is good. Remember the no heavy lifting rule :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright