Advice and query

Options
splashley
splashley Member Posts: 10
edited 2. May 2015, 19:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. I keep suffering from a rapid heart beat between 115-120 beats at rest. Some times my heart thumps and seems like it wants to jump out. It was doing this before started all medication for RA and disc degeneration but was too frightened to tell my GP because old doctor surgery said it was all in my head and one doctor even stood over me and said why do you keep coming back and wasting our time. They made me feel awful and vow I would not say anything. I moved surgeries and they are nice but i am worried they will not believe me. I am a little concerned though. Does anybody have similar experiences?

Also I have received a letter saying pip claim has been referred and may have to wait and have a face to face meeting. I have read that most people fail this and need to appeal. I do not understand the whole pip thing and probably didn't do myself any favours filling in the form as I tend to pretend I am fine when I am not. Thanks

Splashley

Comments

• Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Splashley
    My Mum has been having what we call palpitations which she describes in the same way as you. She is 78, has had a hip replaced and otherwise in pretty good shape. She had an ECG at the doctors which was normal, but as these attacks are intermittent so that's not surprising. It has reached the point where she is now distressed by it and feels breathless while it is going on. I think she needs some sort of continuous ECG monitoring to establish whats going on. She has made an appt to see the Gp, she made it a week ago and they can't see her till May 8th.
    Go back and discuss it with your Gp, keep on track and try to not include too many other health related bits. I know sometimes I think "where shall I start", what came first!
    Good luck.
    Fb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I don't think this is likely to be connected to arthritis.

We aren't docs and can't diagnose things but, as someone with a chronic disease, you do need to have a good relationship with your doc(s) so changing practices was probably a good idea if you couldn't get on well with your former ones. However, it's essential to be honest with them. Otherwise they can't help.

I know many people can get palpitations and they're not regarded as being significant. They can, I believe, be caused by nerves, certain foods and several other things.

Try CAB for PIP problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Splashley and welcome to the forum
    I suppose it could be down to a sort of panic attack, but your GP should not take the chance, and send you for an ECG..so you keep on at them it is your body..has for PIP some people get help off cab..good luck with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • splashley
    splashley Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for great advice I will be brave and mention everything when I see my doctor on 15th May. I will write everything down this time so I won't forget.
    Splashley
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi Splashley, I think seeing your doctor is the right thing to do, your previous GPs sound useless! I've get palpitations myself, and I've always been taken seriously, especially as heart disease runs in my family (but as of last year I'm now the oldest member of my family not to have had one in three generations). I do know that after a certain age they start taking you more seriously! Stress is a big factor for causing palpitations ... it is in my case.

They'll possibly put you on a 24-72 hour heart monitor, to check you out, as well as other tests.

Good luck on the 15th!
    Scozzie