Mind blowing pain

Options
cheveux
cheveux Member Posts: 11
edited 7. May 2015, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi! I am a 70 year male with ( Degen/O/A) Today I feel like I could bang my head against the wall,the pain is unbearable.My medication is having no effect! feel very down. I just hope this will pass, sorry to be so negative. I just hope this problem will soon pass.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ah, we've all been there (and currently I am there too). Pain is the bane of our lives, it affects everything we do, reduces what we can manage, can fire up with no provocation whatsoever and never truly goes away.

What pain control do you take and how often do you take it? My preferred method of pain control is cocodamol 30/500 (4 per day) plus distractions such as coming on here, reading or doing puzzles. If my mind is occupied it won't focus as much on what is going in - well, that's the theory! :) I have another form of distraction lurking in front of the kitchen window, the remainder of a pile of ironing. Seeing as how doing some this morning has triggered this current bout of nonsense I suspect it will stay there until tomorrow. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello cheveux. I'm so sorry things are so tough for you right now. There are times when all seems to be pain.

It will be difficult for you to get a change of medication over the Bank Holiday though it might be a good idea to see your GP afterwards.

You might find some suggestions that could help short term here: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/pain-management

And, if it helps to talk about it we're here. Sometimes just talking to people who really understand can help a lot. Being alone with pain makes it much worse.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello cheveux and welcome to the forum
    I am so sorry you are struggling with the pain, and yes it can be mind blowing, I have degenerative OA and maybe something else when they make there minds up, have you seen a pain clinic at all..sometime they will prescribe things that your GP holds back from..I have pain patches at the min and they do help..you ask to be referred and don't forget that your GP cant see your pain, so you do need to get it across to them, and don't forget we are always here to talk to..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, we're a few days on - how are things now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Yes, I too was wondering. How are things now, cheveux? Any better? Did you manage to find something that helped?
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi, being in pain all the time is so exhausting and mentally draining. I rely on prescription painkilling meds (although on here we more accurately describe them as "pain dullers").

I have osteo arthritis both knees (one partly replaced - other needs completely doing); left ankle (needs drastic surgery) and lower (lumbar spine).

My GP supports me with pain meds but that usually takes the form of a yearly review, and me requesting meds every 4 weeks. Oh, now and again - when I can get an appointment and need their help - I do sometimes manage to get an appointment and I then have my meds adjusted.

Like DD, I try to keep my mind busy. I still work but part time only and that drains me. What gets to me is not being able to just throw on a coat, grab my car keys and "pop out to the shops to have a wander around". That's not possible with OA. Having a social life is also practically impossible and I never go out in the evenings as that's my worst time.

Please keep badgering your GP - tell him/her the meds you are currently on just aren't cutting the mustard and you are head banging with pain. Keep going back and be persistent.

Keep posting on here - there are lovely wonderful people on here who are all so supportive. They've been a lifeline to me since I joined.

Let us know how you get on please.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • cheveux
    cheveux Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi!
    Well I am glad to say, I am still above ground, after my dark. Arthurnimbus
    cloud visit. Plus Co-codamol brought some relief (must eat more fruit) Thank you for your comment's I will try not to moan and groan so much. Knowing their are people a lot worst than me. just hard not to when pain strike's head to toe's. God bless will write back soon.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We're all glad to know you're still above ground, cheveux :D We all have those 'arthurnimbus' times and please feel free to 'moan and groan' as much as necessary when the cloud descends.

I'm glad the cocos helped in the end. It can sometimes just be a matter of sitting it out. More's the pity :roll:

Thanks for getting back to us.
    Steven Wright