Coming off Methatrexate

Options
DebraKelly
DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
edited 6. May 2015, 13:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted.

Generally I haven't been too bad, just all the usual stuff you have to put up with when you have RA!

As most of you know I been on Meth now since I was diagnosed 5 years ago, various levels both tablets and more recently on injections.

My bloods the past few months and blood pressure have been very high, so a result I am getting taken of Meth altogether and trying something different. I don't know what yet, still waiting to hear back from the consultant.

My biggest fear at the moment is what I am going to be like in a couple of weeks once the Meth starts to come out of my system.

If you remember last year when I came of Meth to try and baby I was in a very bad way and could hardly walk etc, was off work for weeks..........

So I'm feeling a bit frightened and unsure at the moment!

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I hope they give you something fairly soon in place of the MTX. Have they suggested a steroid injection in between finishing one drug and starting another?
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Just wanted to send you some hugs ((((((( )))))))).
    Maybe it's worth sharing your fears with your GP or rheumy help line and asking about suitable anti inflammatories/pain relief to tide you over.

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    As Tezz says, with luck they might give you a steroid jab. I hope it will go better than feared and we are always here to commiserate if not.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I really hope they are able to give you something to tied you over while you are swapped to another medication. Having been left for months on end with no medication by my awful doctor I know exactly what it's like when the disease is just left to thrive and take over.

Personally I would ask if there is a possibility of a course of steroid infusions. Not all doctors seem to like using them, one of them being mine but the main advantage I find with the infusions (If they work for you) is that they work very quickly and can for a couple of months, meaning that you will also be benefiting from the steroid infusion whilst waiting for the new medication to work. This is how every change of medication was handled by my old rheumatologist.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I recall that when I was taken off tablet meth I was told it would take between two and twelve weeks to fully leave my system (i.e. the timescale they give for it to start working). I've checked my old records and I began the replacement DMARD, leflunomide, after nine weeks. I know this works well for some so, if this is the one you are given, I sincerely hope it helps. I don't have RA but the meds overlap the conditions, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben