Good rheumy / clinic

Options
AlexeyB
AlexeyB Member Posts: 7
edited 6. May 2015, 03:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I have tried to look through the forums, but did not see any topics with good / bad experience with rheumatologists and clinics.

Do you know any good place to kick off your treatment plan? Not necessarily in UK. I'd be happy to hear from someone who has been in Europe's or Middle East hospitals (Israel maybe?)

Thanks!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi AlexeyB and welcome to the forum. I've no experience of hospitals abroad but my own rule of thumb in the UK is to go for a good teaching hospital. I started my arthritic life in one and, some 50+ years later, I'm still with the same hospital having seen 2 rheumatologists retire. I've had 5 joint replacements in their orthopaedic dept. and all have been excellent. There is a perception that paying for treatment gets you a better deal. I have a son in USA and I'd strongly dispute that.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I changed from my local hospital because of poor treatment, with the help of my GP, who was not satisfied with my treatment plan. I now travel 15 miles to a far better hospital - coincidentally, in view of Sticky's remarks - it is teaching hospital, and the care is first-class. My GP said to me that 'RA is for life - you need the best possible treatment.'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can't help with this - like many aspects of arthritis it's something that cannot be quantified: one person's miracle drug is another's poison, one man's loathed rheumatologist is adored by others. My rheumatology department (sited within an East Anglian teaching hospital) is currently in a state of flux and not in a good way: I have been very fortunate in the past with the level of care and interest shown towards me and I am sure that will continue to be the case once things have settled. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • AlexeyB
    AlexeyB Member Posts: 7
    Options
    So is there a difference between a teaching hospital and any other rheumatology clinic?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Teaching hospitals are just that, they are educating the next generation of whatevers so my thinking is that they have to be less complacent in how they tackle matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Exactly. They have a Medical School attached and, as an in-patient, you'll often get a load of students round your bed to watch and learn or sometimes you'll be asked if they can examine you. Some people dislike this but I see it as an opportunity to help educate the guys who might be treating me in 10 years' time.I've occasionally had students attend my rheumatology appointments too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright