Thoughtless, arrogant or ignorant?

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 6. May 2015, 13:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Why do individuals responding on behalf of a company assume you'll know who they are when they email? I delete, unread, any emails I don't recognise or can't identify,( especially if there's an attachment) which is unfortunate when it's a response to a customer service query or a complaint.But why this assumption that I'll know who A N Other is if there's no clue in the subject line, no company name, and I've had no previous contact with him/her? When I've mentioned it the response is generally polite indifference, but I did have one woman who got very cross, saying 'well you were expecting to hear from us weren't you?'( I had deleted her anonymous messages and she had to phone). Yes I was expecting to hear from the company, but not an unidentified individual.
I had another example today, and as it relates to a problem that arose in the middle of January I'm not feeling over-tolerant towards the organisation involved, especially as it's the biggest player in the communications(ha!) industry.
Suspicious grumpy old woman will now go and make her tea....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    They know who they are. :wink: I know what you mean, it is frustrating but is increasingly the way of the modern world. We live in charmless times.

My favourite take on this is the reverse: when ringing our Rheumatology Helpline you are asked to leave your full name and hospital number, followed by the reason for the call. One woman rang, announced 'It's Linda, please ring me back.' and was very miffed when no-one did. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It all sounds very frustrating, daffy.

I never open attachments unless I'm 100% sure of them but I do look at emails from names I don't recognise as, at my age, I sometimes discover I ought to have recognised them :oops:

I recently tried to tell Delta Airlines how good their lady at Lost Baggage in LAX had been when my wheelchair failed to arrive. By the time I'd provided all the (irrelevant) data their form required I was losing the will to live but at least they did send a nice email back (which did say where it was from).
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    They know who they are. :wink: My favourite take on this is the reverse: when ringing our Rheumatology Helpline you are asked to leave your full name and hospital number, followed by the reason for the call. One woman rang, announced 'It's Linda, please ring me back.' and was very miffed when no-one did. :lol: DD

I think that was me :oops: I forgot to leave my number!!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    They know who they are.
    Assuming they have remembered to look on Facebook that morning.