Meds day +1

Options
Pedz
Pedz Member Posts: 41
edited 6. May 2015, 10:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Some of you would have read and commented on my "MTX mornings" post
Well it's that time again had Meds yesterday afternoon slept like a 180Lb baby lol but was absolutely wiped out all day today got out of bed this morning feeling like a re-heated corpse, ambled downstairs to a lovely list of chores left for me by my lovely G/F LOL what a struggle phew! Got there though I know this isn't really informative or important just a little lighthearted chat, oh talking about hearts my BP has risen steadily over the last few weeks I always had optimal BP, that's said my BP machine came from lidls so can't read to much into that lol it sent my son Peter jnr ( a very fit 26 year old) running to the doctors when it told him he had a cardiac arithmia lol oh how we laughed and still do :D
before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hopefully you will soon adjust to the meth and this should ease. I have no trouble with side effects from my unholy trinity of meds but when I have to stop them, due to a cold of infection, I always feel better in myself despite being 'properly' ill with something that others understand. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Pedz
    Options
    My worst fear is becoming ill my sister has cancer and is getting chemo and she tells me that the a simple cold is a serious big deal however her doses are massive by comparison
    before you can live a part of your life has to die, most people will never experience this.....guess i have a gift.....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is true that we are more open to infection due to the immune-suppressing aspect of the meds but we can easily minimize the risk of catching whatever bug is doing the rounds. I am an assiduous hand-washer, my husband has learned to be the same, I carry anti-bac wipes when out and about and care not what others think when I wipe table tops, cutlery, door handles etc. I also encourage those with colds etc. to stay away from me (or me from them). It's sensible preventative behaviour and it works. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi there, Pedz. I don't think we've 'met' as I've been off sunning myself in California.

I still, occasionally, get a 'post-meth day' despite being 15 yrs in with it. If you're new to it all and it's not properly kicked in yet, the fatigue is probably exaggerated by the fatigue of the arthritis itself. (We can do it in spades :roll: )

As for BP machines – the kind you buy in any shops are not the best. In fact I've occasionally had a nurse reach for the old fashioned hand-pump ones as they're apparently more reliable. If you're worried about yours get down to the GP and let them sort it out. Mine has been 'on the high side of normal' for years. I never take my own though. I leave that sort of thing to Mr SW who reaches for his £10 machine every time a medical programme come on TV :roll:

It's true that the amount of meth we take is nothing compared with chemo. However, we still need to avoid colds and bugs as much as possible as they can take hod before we're aware of them. Lots of hand washing and sanitising (especially after visits to docs and supermarkets) and don't be afraid to tell people with colds that you prefer not to be around them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pedz
    Options
    California nice I wish lol yeah it's all a bit new right now so see how I get on with all this been a bit of a shock but coming to terms with it now, and I have always had good personal hygiene but have stepped it up a notch in recent months love this forum as it's the only real outlet other than the rheumatology help line lol think my friends and family are a bit fed up of hearing about it lol my girlfriend is supportive but I think I'm wearing it out a bit......shame
    I have great sense of humour and can find humour in most thing and that keeps me going a Lot, my youngest daughter asked what it's like having RA I said you know those rusty pliers in the shed? a bit like that, and the Steriod shot is the WD40 lol any time for Wednesday's activities have a great day folks... back later
  • Pedz
    Options
    Oh forgot to ask has anyone had hair loss or weight gain issues
    Cheers
    Pete
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've had some hair thinning but not a great deal - as I can't see it I'm not that bothered. :wink: The folic acid should help protect against this and the amount of that can be increased if necessary - that decision is up to the rheumatologist and not you. Steroids can lead to weight gain but I haven't experienced that with meth. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Just the occasional few hairs on the pillow or in the washbasin when I've washed it. Nothing you'd notice. As for weight gain I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention this in relation to met.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright