Grapefuits can cause harm?

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 9. May 2015, 16:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just recently began a new TNF drug called Cimzia, like with all new drugs I was asked to have regular blood tests done and the first one was scheduled for yesterday. My results came back showing a raised potassium level but normal kidney function. My doctor asked me what I had eaten the night before and what I had eaten for breakfast. I had grapefruit as part of my breakfast that morning and apparently that was the cause and I should not consume grapefruit due to some of the medications I take.

Has anyone ever been told this before? I checked the boxes of all my medication and not one of them says on the front do not eat grapefruit, but then if you read into the small print on the leaflets it turns out some of them do indeed claim that grapefruit may cause an interaction with the drug or cause more of it than normal to enter the bloodstream.

I guess I am partly to blame for not fully reading the leaflets, but it would be nice if they at least put this on the dispensing label so we actually knew. They print this medication may make you sleepy do not drive etc so why not print if a certain food has an interaction.

Scary to think really that something natural such a fruit can cause an adverse reaction to some of the drugs we take. No more grapefruit for me, and to think I was trying to kickstart a healthy diet with a new medication lol

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think you can eat grapefruit if you are prescribed Statins - I seem to remember this from my Dad was taking them.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When I began taking anti TNF meds eating grapefruit was immediately flagged up as a no-no, along with pate and brie. Grapefruit may be healthy for those who don't take our meds but they are not good for us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Grapefruit is a problem with several drugs and it's been known about for some time. Fortunately that still leaves other citrus fruit to be enjoyed although I would imagine it might be wise to avoid grapefruit hybrids?
    It wouldn't surprise me if food/drug interactions are actually more common and more of a factor in side effects than currently realised.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    My late sister told my partner years ago about not eating grapefruit as she knew he was on statins. It helped that she worked in a pharmacy as a dispensing assistant!

Grapefruit (and for that matter other citrus fruits) do not make "happy bed mates" with my osteo arthritis so I tend to avoid over exposure to these at the best of times. I'm okay with say one glass of orange juice now and again but certainly wouldn't risk drinking this on consecutive days. Nor would I eat oranges on a regular basis. Chocolate Orange is okay though :lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    As soon as I was put on blood pressure tablets I was told that grapefruit was a NO NO

Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hello aSS567 sorry if that is wrong yes I was told not to have grapefruit
    because of my meds.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It's not very well publicised but yes, grapefruit enzymes can change the potency of certain medications. Methotrexate and grapefruit also interact. I did not know about the biologics but avoid grapefruit anyway because I'm on MTX.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Looks like it was just me who wasn't aware. From what I can tell its not TNF drugs that are interacting with grapefruits for me its the Diazepam and a couple of other medications which I rarely take.

My blood test came back normal the following day so I think the grapefruits were to blame, no wonder if they were causing more Diazepam to be in my blood than usual and sit there for longer.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    We only find out a lot of these things when we read them on this forum. Not may of us read the leaflets that come with the meds :lol:
    We would scare ourselves to death. :wink:
    I found out that we should have a vitamin D check along with our other bloods and its not normal for our GP's to do it automatically.
    It turned out it was very low so good job I read that on here.
    Love
    Hileen